RCBS rockchucker warranty

eldon

This afternoon with a couple of hours spare I thought I would sort some cases out. Nothing special or hard just 243. After neck sizing about 30 cases the handle suddenly went soft and this happened;

RCBS1.jpg

RCBS2.jpg

Anybody else had or heard of this?

The question is how good is the RCBS customer service and warranty and who do I contact, preferably in the UK or is it best to go direct to the USA?

Now having heard all the arguments in the past about Lee gear being poor (which I had previously without issue) and other makes being far better this makes me smile.

Very bad luck with that and you have my sympathy. I can't offer any opinion on RCBS after-sales because I've never needed it - the numerous items of RCBS kit I've owned have all behaved faultlessly, including my press (smaller than a Rockchucker but similarly cast iron) I've had for about twenty years. I think this is pure bad luck, a dodgy casting. I imagine RCBS, or whoever its parent company is now, would wish to protect its good name by playing fair with you - isn't the UK importer Edgar Bros? If they proved tardy (I've found them OK in the past) then an email direct to the US should produce results: i did that not long ago re one of Stanley Tools' items and the UK branch weren't interested, but a letter straight to the Chief Exec in the States brought a swift apology & response...

Cheers Tony, I was a bit miffed by how it went so as you I feel it is just a one off poor casting. Inside, the casting feels quite crumbly and granular so maybe just a bad cast.

I had no complaints previously so hopefully this will be sorted out ok.

Anybody got any good contacts I can have to start the ball rolling ?

Unbelievably this is the third thing to fail in recent times. First my binoculars got a drowning by my son, although it was laughable at the time :lol: and still haven't been returned under warranty which will be 2 months since posting by 6th jan. Then my multitool suffered an injury to the pliers at -6 on a barbed wire fence and lost a jaw :) . Now the press, lets hope the warranty is worth having.

GMK are the importers and back up the gear well. It is important to screw the locknut up the bar as far as possible, then screw the handle with nut in tight and then hold from turning whilst nipping the locknut . Overtightening either can result in what happened to yours as it is only malleable cast iron, it will have happened over a period of time not just on the last operation.

They will normally ask you to take it or the bit back where you bought it if possible.

Redfox

Cheers guys, yes redfox me and you were of the same opinion and the nut was as high as possible and nipped once in place. The hole and thread is alot deeper than the bar and I wonder why they didn't make the thread on the bar 10mm or whatever longer so as to give it more support. If it had been run without the locknut (which it hasn't) it would have been better supported.

I will try GMK and lets see.

messed my rcbs 505 scales up. emailed them and with in 2 mins had a email back.

asking for my name address and replacement parts will be sent out asap. they come in post and didnt have to pay a penny.

there service is top stuff

Stag yours sounds like a better design I think this is a step backwards.

The casting is about 25mm deep yet the available thread engagement on the handle is only around 12mm.

It is like somebody forgot to allow for the nut as without this the thread available is now around 22mm.

Hopefully GMK will resolve this after the holiday period.

Looking at yours again I personally would have removed the nut and screwed the thread fully into the hole and hope there was enough thread to screw the nut on from the bottom .

There appears to be a distinct `shoulder` on the handle at the top of the nut.

My casting is 24mm thick similar to your own but there is No thread on the part of the handle that goes through the smooth hole in the casting.

As an experiment remove your nut and screw the handle into the other hole and see if the nut will go on from below.

HWH.

I agree stag with your comments.

The unit is not scrap as such and without the nut there would be plenty of engagement to use as is, but, at the end of the day these things aren't cheap and I want it right. The casting (quality) or design (short thread on handle) seems wrong to me and I might be tempted to try your idea when/If I get a replacement.

I am sure GMK will sort this and will then let you know what happens.

Eldon,

maybe an e-mail with pictures attached to the manufacturer can get things sorted. Quick and cheap.

I sent Harris pictures and the story of a bipod that fell apart on me a while ago, they sent me a complete new bipod a week later.

edi

Archived