I am looking to get a .308 in the next week or so. It is already fairly light, I am considering cutting it down from 22 to 20 inches and putting a muzzle brake on it to keep the weight down and reduce felt recoil.

What muzzle brakes have you guys used and how efective are they?

Do they reduce the recoil more or less than a sound moderator?

Dave

I am looking to get a .308 in the next week or so. It is already fairly light, I am considering cutting it down from 22 to 20 inches and putting a muzzle brake on it to keep the weight down and reduce felt recoil.

What muzzle brakes have you guys used and how efective are they?

Do they reduce the recoil more or less than a sound moderator?

Dave

Muzzle breaks are extremely good at reducing recoil, better than a mod for sure.

They are not so great for your ears or anybody elses for that matter.

I had one made for me very similar to a Vias type break.

Any good rifle smith should be able to make one up for you once he know's the dimensions.

Dasherman off this site made mine and I'm very pleased with it, in fact he made another two for mates of mine and they love them.

ATB

Moses

Dasherman made one for my .243. It enables me to retain the sight picture as it reduces recoil.

People on the range have commented that it is loud. I wear in ear defenders out hunting and them plus muffs on the range.

Brakes have to be made specific for the calibre intended, not any old one. Baldydave articulated this here somewhere.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1350/muzzlebrake1.jpg

Holes drilled in the end as well.

The style are the easiest to fit, they dont really require indexing.

Uk sources are, in no order of preferance;

RG Rifles.

Third Eye Tactical

Jager Sporting Arms

I think SYSS may be doing their own soon too.

Vais are good brakes as are Harrel, both from the states.

The Harrels are nice especialy if you want the brake the same diameter as the barrel as they do not have the holes longitudanly.

The Harrels come with a 32 TPI thread pitch though so need re-machining to suit...

Ive used all, they all work equally as well as each other and have no preferance personaly.

Do you have any pictures of the item in question?

Dave

Hopefully here it is in action;

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid188.photobucket.com/albums/z94/moses5635/VID00002-20090919-0850.flv">

Closer pic

IMG00013-20090918-1846.jpg

And a successful hunt with it;

100_0718.jpg

ATB

Moses

Brakes are clever things, and there is much more to them than meets the eye.

There are however, always trade-offs to be made, with each type.

In order of efficiency, they start with the Benny cooley type, or the ones with two massive side venting ports, or three on magnums etc. These ports are 90 degrees to the bore hole, and are the most efficient at braking the recoil. They are also the loudest, and require indexing to the barrel so the ports are level, otherwise the rifle recoils differently.

The second most efficient are the vais type brakes, with radial ports and also longditudional ports that run through the radial ones. This type has a small expansion chamber in the rear, made by cutting the muzzle thread short. The bullet effectively shuts down the rear of the brake momentarily, and the gas has no option but to vent sideways and into the longditudional ports, exiting through each and every one of the radial ports on the way. This type is very efficient [almost as good as the cooley type] but is a lot quieter, and doesnt need indexing. Turned down diameter is reliant on the front facing ports.

The third type is the ones with radial ports and just an internal chamber, or sometimes just a hole bored through for the bullet to pass. These work reasonably well, but dont have the braking effect of the other two. A lot easier to make however, and can be turned down to whatever is required within reason.

For a brake to operate at it most efficient, it needs to be reamed, not drilled, 0.020" per side, bigger than the bullet diameter. Any smaller and accuracy can suffer, any bigger, and efficiency suffers. It goes without saying that this is not an amateur task, and must be done by someone who knows what they are doing, with the right equipment.

I use Russ Gall,s vais type brakes on our .338,s and then the third eye tactical ones, on everything else.The reason i like these brakes, is 1. He,s local, and british. 2. He will make them with any thread for us. I tend to stick mainly to the 5/8" x 18 tpi, as a lot of customers wish to use a brake, and also a moderator. These are truly excellent quality and we have ours made by him, as do other people, and wont be making our own as we dont have the machinery.

I tend to use the benny cooley type most on our rimfire,s , mainly on mini rifles etc.

Archived