Match Rifle for 2010.

6mmBR

I just picked up from Neil (Dasherman) my match rifle he has built me.

It is not in its final stock as its not arrived from Canada yet.

The rifle consists of a Barmard P action with the heavier trigger as match rifle requires a pull weight of 3.5lb or above.

003-3.jpg

It has a Trueflite 32" medium Palma profile barrel chambered in .308 with 1in10 twist rifling.

In match rifle the barrel can weigh no more than 5 1/2lb hence the medium palma profile.

She is throated for 210 Sierra Match Kings which seem to be the winning formula as the discipline is shot over 1000/1100/1200 yards and the heavy bullets stay supersonic at those distances easier than the 155 side of the scale.

The 210 Sierras having an inpressive BC of well over 6!

The stock is at the moment a Shehane Tracker stock and the P action is bedded into an aluminium bedding block.

004-3.jpg

The good news is she will also qualify for F/TR class and just comes under the 8.25kg limit with bipod fitted.

She will be lighter still in the Robertson H&H stock we're wating for.

As usual Neil has done a spot on job, just need some time over Xmas to do some load development.

Cheers

Dave

Lovely

just about replicates in looks my own F Class gun.

The Barnard P (and any other Barnard) is a superb action, it will serve you well.

Good luck with it, maybe on the line with you in the F Class comps in 2010.

Please do not light that Efel stove without removing the wood stacked around it to at least 200mm away at the sides. I am now selling stoves for a living and last week came accross a guy who had a major fire caused by stacking his wood to close to his stove as per the pic. He got a far bigger fire than he bargined for !!. I could get you flamable distances at the rear if you want.

Rifle looks very nice as it is, bet it shoots as good as it looks as well. Seems F-TR is on a huge increase at present, why ?.

A

Cheers Andy if it shoots how I hope will try the F/TR class next year.

Will shoot both Bisley shoots and probably one of the Diggle ones. Hoping to hook up with Ian as well so we could have some fun.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the concern Geof the wood is there for immediate use as we burn all that in an evening. The wood at the back is further than your 200mm, just the camera flattens things out.

Have a good Xmas

Dave

Forgot to mention, that you may be able to push the 308's and Sierra 240grainers a wee bit more with the new Lapua 308 brass that has small rifle primer instead of the standard....

Especially with the smaller firing pin diameter that the Barnard P's have - this set up (the P) enables me to get 3000+ from the 7mm/300WSM and 180's.

Youre also missing out on the Match rifle set up with the Barnard trigger unit - possibly the BEST trigger ever when ajusted correctly.

If you decide on F Class, you may need to alter weight / pull - the Barnard will ajust to two stage / single with standard unit.

Also know of a conversion for Jewel set up that is UK based...

Forgot to mention, that you may be able to push the 308's and Sierra 240grainers a wee bit more with the new Lapua 308 brass that has small rifle primer instead of the standard....

Especially with the smaller firing pin diameter that the Barnard P's have - this set up (the P) enables me to get 3000+ from the 7mm/300WSM and 180's.

Youre also missing out on the Match rifle set up with the Barnard trigger unit - possibly the BEST trigger ever when ajusted correctly.

If you decide on F Class, you may need to alter weight / pull - the Barnard will ajust to two stage / single with standard unit.

Also know of a conversion for Jewel set up that is UK based...

Andy I've ordered a spare trigger circa £160 they are held on by one allen screw so easy to swap. It will save having to alter the trigger pull as in match rifle they are strict on this ruling, so once set better to leave alone.

That brass will be interesting, going to try new MEN brass from HPS this year. It seems very consistent, came ourt real well for consistency against Lapua in Lauries tests.

Just looked at the round count for this years imperial meet going to need 250 rnds + and a lot more if I shoot F class.

Will be good to catch up.

Dave

If you like 2 stage, set the F Class unit to this, it gives the sweetest release ever,,,,well apart from a lass I once knew :D

Er anyway, yes will be good to catch up.

Not sure when / if the Lapua brass is available here yet, but it seems a solution for high pressure loadings...

Hi Dave ,

Thats a lovely looking bit of kit you have there!!! :DB)

We need to catch up soon my friend!!! ;)

All the best..................

RAY..................................

Nice gear there Dave and it's basically all NZ stuff, directly or indirectly.

The "H&H" stock is really a misnomer- it should have been "HHE" but Robertson chose to label it that way. I actually saw the prototypes (L&R) before they were sent off to Robertson by my clubmates:

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/hhe/frameenglish.htm

Check under the Shooting tab

Their website is obsolete now but they still do any required work for me :D

I see Robertson are snowed under (work-wise, not literally like you guys) and aren't accepting any stock orders for the moment.

Chris-NZ

• 1 month later...

Finally got to the range today to get some load development done today.

The rifle shot very well and small clusters of shots proved easy at any powder charge.

The 210's seem to be very tolerant,

The best group came at 49 grains of N550 a single ragged hole, just what I was looking for.

On to the chrono and 49 grains of N550 gave 2720 fps out of the 32" barrel and a charge of 49.5 gave 2750 fps just the figures I was looking for.

Next is to load up more and head to Bisley and test them at 1000 yards.

The clock is ticking as the first Match is in April.

Cheers

Dave

Archived