300 Weatherby Mag

zigliss

I have built rifles for this caliber and in the process, worked up loads. It is essentially a 300 H&H blown out to a double-radius shoulder. While an appealing cartridge on a hormonal level, it has some draw backs. If you are having a custom rifle built you will need to have the gunsmith cut adequate freebore ahead of the chamber. It is this freebore that allows the cartridge to stay within pressure limits; Weatherby designed it this way. To leave it out will cause all kinds of headaches when you go to load for it.

The cartridge is not very efficient; it carries way too much case capacity for the 30 caliber tube which is why 26" barrels are the norm. The brass is expensive, the price of loaded ammunition has always been (relatively speaking) astronomical.

For a big thirty I'd rather have a 300 Winchester Magnum or a 308 Norma Magnum. If you can't get it done with one of these, you need to stay home.~Andrew

Try finding one! That's the biggest issue! I've been looking for a .300 of some sort for months and the Weatherbys are quite rare. Luckily for now I'm felling pretty poor so it doesn't matter, but if I had cash to spend it would be quite annoying!

The thing I like about the Weatherby and H&H rounds over the Win Mag is the fact that they handle the bigger bullets better. The only down side to them is that they kick really hard!

Really? :)

I invited trouble once by goading my US mate into some "decent" loads for his .300 Wby.

The 150s were fine, the 180s "stiff" but still shot under 1.5". The 220s were a very different story. The first one felt like I'd been smacked in the teeth by a small hammer, the second one the same but I also got bitten by the pad which left a pinch bruise visible 10days later. In a relatively light weight sporter, it's an overkill calibre. As Andrew said, if the Winnie or Norma doesn't do the biz, there's something wrong (with you).

Chris-NZ

The thing I like about the Weatherby and H&H rounds over the Win Mag is the fact that they handle the bigger bullets better.

I don't think this is necessarily true. For example, the 300 H&H, the 300 Win Mag, the 300 WBY, and the 308 Norma all top out at around 2700 fps with 220 grain bullets. A 220 from a 300 WBY is indeed a teeth-jarring experience. :) A truly unpleasant experience, indeed~Andrew

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm only going by what I've read, but..... The win mag may keep up with the others with heavy bullets if they are single loaded, but you can't get the heavy bullets seated deeply enough in the win mag case to get them to fit into the magazine (at least not without losing capacity and having to load them gently).

I don't think this is necessarily true. For example, the 300 H&H, the 300 Win Mag, the 300 WBY, and the 308 Norma all top out at around 2700 fps with 220 grain bullets. A 220 from a 300 WBY is indeed a teeth-jarring experience. :ph34r: A truly unpleasant experience, indeed~Andrew

I dont know about that. I'm shooting a Rem 700 Sendero in 300Winmag. My preferred load is a 210gr Berger VLD over 70gr N160 and a Federal GM215 primer. These fly at approx 2830fps and are nice and accurate.

When I've finished with the std factory barrel I'll buy something decent to replace it and hopefully pull it in a bit tighter. A mate has a nice Riflecraft custom job that cost about 2k more than my rifle. He shoots the same load and its vbulling nicely at 1000 and 1200 yards

Mark

Archived