custom .223

Snowz

what other calibers can you re chamber a .223 action into for a longer range round e.g br's AI etc

As you will probably know - you have limited choice due to the boltface size.

The 223 Ackley is the cheapest option - as you already have the brass and barrel.. Looking on reloader nest it seems it will

give you up to 150 FPS more than the standard 223.

You could also rebarel your gun in 20 cal. -- The 20 Practical or 20 tact -- 204 ruger .. are the obvious choices.

With a tight twist barrel , you could shoot the heavier pills , such as berger 50 grainers.

Should imagane they would be good at distance

Alan

I could be mistaken, but isn't the Tikka 595 a standard length action, i.e. the same as a 308, even when it is configured for a 223? If that is true, then with a new bolt or bolthead you could have most anything you want.

Sticking with the 223 boltface I'd say AI, rebarrel with a 9 twist, and shoot 65-75 gr rounds.

Thanks,

Rick

thanks for the info guys, after speaking and reading about a few other getting custom rifles i thought i'd see what i could have done on a limited budget, i could either customize my Tikka or i would have to sell all my rifles to pay for a new custom build, not looking to do it right now but want to look into in more detail ready for the future.

Will look at the calibers as said above and see what i think i could do

Thanks

Rich

Any competent smith can machine out your bolt face to "308" size which makes your choice of cartridges even greater, however such a conversion/re-barreling really only makes sense when the rifle is not available in the chosen calibre or you are going for something special like an ackley or a wildcat.

Ian.

Any competent smith can machine out your bolt face to "308" size which makes your choice of cartridges even greater

Would the extractor not under perform on a bigger cartridge? The one on my .223 is a bit fussy about the rims it engages & this is with small brass.

Guest dasherman

You'd be cheaper selling your .223 and buying another donar with a .473" bolt face. To convert your 595 to say 6mm BR you would need a .22/250 mag, a ejector/extractor parts pack from GMK for the .308 extractor[they wont sell it on its own] and have the cost of the machine work - as well as the cost of a new tube. You cannot buy another bolt for a 595, I've tried and there isnt any.

You'd be cheaper selling your .223 and buying another donar with a .473" bolt face. To convert your 595 to say 6mm BR you would need a .22/250 mag, a ejector/extractor parts pack from GMK for the .308 extractor[they wont sell it on its own] and have the cost of the machine work - as well as the cost of a new tube. You cannot buy another bolt for a 595, I've tried and there isnt any.

think what i might do is keep the .223 for a NV setup and start saving my milk tokens for a custom 6mmbr

thanks for the help tho

Richard

Archived