.22 Rim Fire Ammo

riflemanread

Another vote for the super x in the 10/22, bldy thing won't digest anything else. l found that sometimes the cci's go hyper due to them being loaded close to the edge of super sonic.

Keep thinkin' about looking for a short case mag and turning it into a straight pull, just for fun.

Having sold most of them [and used] they all have had their problems at one time or another. If i was backed into a corner, it would have to be winchester, apart from a double charged batch ;) that were recalled, they do seem to be the hardest hitting of all the subs, due to the very large hollowpoint, and generel truncated cone shape. They sail very close to the sonic barrier, hence the reknowned winchester "cracker" now and again. Eley used to do this, then they dropped the charge, to give 50fps less, so ensuring no "crackers", but eley have had, and still do have, consistency problems, as well as lube probs. The rws is good, if waxy. The remmy is also good, but a lot of misfires...its good in an auto, as it has virtually no lube. Magtech is dirty , smelly , sh**e :P

Food for thought. I,ve used match ammo [non hollowpoint] for a long time for rabbits, most of it is subsonic, and performs no differently to eley subs etc, on a carcase. Winchester is different, the bullet shape, ensure better expansion.

Match ammo is a damn sight more accurate, i use SK, which is a type of lapua.

hyper velocity stuff? crap generally, apart from the cci velocitor, only one thats reasonably accurate at 50 yards plus.

Guest The Equaliser
Having sold most of them [and used] they all have had their problems at one time or another. If i was backed into a corner, it would have to be winchester, apart from a double charged batch ;) that were recalled, they do seem to be the hardest hitting of all the subs, due to the very large hollowpoint, and generel truncated cone shape. They sail very close to the sonic barrier, hence the reknowned winchester "cracker" now and again. Eley used to do this, then they dropped the charge, to give 50fps less, so ensuring no "crackers", but eley have had, and still do have, consistency problems, as well as lube probs. The rws is good, if waxy. The remmy is also good, but a lot of misfires...its good in an auto, as it has virtually no lube. Magtech is dirty , smelly , sh**e :P

Food for thought. I,ve used match ammo [non hollowpoint] for a long time for rabbits, most of it is subsonic, and performs no differently to eley subs etc, on a carcase. Winchester is different, the bullet shape, ensure better expansion.

Match ammo is a damn sight more accurate, i use SK, which is a type of lapua.

hyper velocity stuff? crap generally, apart from the cci velocitor, only one thats reasonably accurate at 50 yards plus.

If you want total accuracy and constant reliability then TENEX is the best you can buy failing that Black match

I shoot Aguila here in the US. They have a wide variety of rounds and the prices are good. Remington ammo, here, is considered junk. Few serious shooters use it; whether they be serious hunters or plinkers. It's sole attribute is that it's cheap. Here 550 rounds cost as little as $8 US. Federal and CCI are better. Not having to deal with "moderators" we tend to stay away from sub-sonic rounds. I like them, and use them, but the shooting public seems to think them a weak sister to the hi velocity rounds. Of the standard hi velocity rounds (not "hyper velocity") I think that CCI "Mini Mag" and the Aguila "SE" 40 grain are the best -with the Aguila getting my vote for top all around accuracy.

Just a 2cents worth from over the Pond ;) ~Andrew

Interesting, baldies comments. I used to use Winchester then had ones that only just fell out the barrel and fliers. Magtech were ok but a lot of crackers 2" higher at 50 yds!.

So I bought some of each and spent a day testing, the eley subs came out way in front of the others for consistent grouping and of course the Tenex better still ( not much expansion going on though) at all ranges. So I have stuck with them, but have had odd unexplained misses ( not the shooter of course! ) so I'm going to have to test again in the light of your comments on poor consistency at Eley.

Still got a few Eleys to get through as well, so a few rimmy outings called for, although I dont normally shoot rabbits before Sept, as the local dealer wont take them.

I have a dislike of just shooting them to waste them, unless real crop damage is going on and there is limited room in my freezer to keep them for cooking later, even boned out and these days I have only one old ( small) dog to feed.

One of the farms I shoot over has a son ( about 35) who periodically drives round in his Terrano with 7yr old son and air rifle and shoots rabbits every night until there are none left, takes him about a week usually as he isnt that good a shot. Reason, his mother breeds spaniels to sell and"its cheaper than dog food" , then they buy a load of turkeys and wonder why the local foxes quickly start snacking on them, I get a call then to "kill all these bloody foxes" !!!. When the son was working away for 2 yrs and the rabbits left alone until winter and I only took a reasonable amount, the turkey losses were negligible, but the penny doesnt drop, even with polite hints. ;)

Redfox

Archived