Dans Fox

kip270

With the weather being so wet over the last few days, I set about reloading some ammo for the .222, having found a great combo, I cleaned, neck sized & turned some 100 cases and reloaded.

Having worked nights last week today was the only chance I would get as I’m nights again next week……..oh the joy’s.

I rang Dan and said I would pick him up at around 6:30pm. The weather had settled with a bit of a northerly wind, but it was and no moon. As we pulled up I had a terrible thought, I had picked up my rifle/bolt/ammo so most important check….Wellies/range finder/Varmint sticks/bi-pod Check…..Jacket……where’s my jacket??? Mmmmm back home on the spare bed……bugger it was going to be a cold night.

Dan was the shooter, while I would be behind the lamp, and tonight I had chosen to use the Lightforce Blitz (got to get another battery)

We got into the first field and spotted some sheep, then when we were halfway through the field, I scanned into the next field some 500 yds plus, and then we spotted the eyes of a fox, so we continued on our path, but the wind wasn’t the best, we had the wind on our backs and the wind was blowing straight towards the fox. We had no other choice as there is only one point into this permission.

We carried on and came to a gateway, I said to Dan to get over as we wouldn’t get a chance if we didn’t.

Getting over the gate we then spotted some cattle a few hundred yards behind the fox, so we needed to try and get into a position where the cows were not behind the fox, after some careful footwork we managed it, so Dan get ready down on the bipod. The fox was coming towards us, the lamp not bothering it, so Dan was ready, but the fox had other ideas. Not sure if it caught our scent but it was off, I gave a small squeak, it stopped for a split second, then made off a few more yards, so a longer squeak and it stopped broadside.

Dan squeezed off his shot and the fox dropped on the spot, I told him to reload, then the fox was back up and running!!! It was running straight towards the cows, then after 60 yards it dropped.

Dans shot was good, so a bit strange how the fox managed to run???

So a fox(vixen) accounted for in less than 10 minutes, we decided to have a look about but didn’t spot anything else.

DanFoxing001.jpg

Nice write up - and a good result.

Top rifle , I had one exactly the same only in 22.250. .. definately a keeper - only realised that after I had sold mine :angry:

ATB

Alan

i have heard of so many people getting rid of their M595's or similar and regretting it so i will NOT be getting rid of mine, she is a keeper and will just customize her ;)

i have heard of so many people getting rid of their M595's or similar and regretting it so i will NOT be getting rid of mine, she is a keeper and will just customize her ;)

I'll get her re-barrelled when the time comes, i've had the bolt customised.

Nice going and a great account of your trip!!!! ;)

Nice to see you still out and about when ya can buddy!!!!! :DB)

All the best.......................

RAY.............................................

Here you go:

Fluted & a tactical bolt knob fitted

Stalkingwithjeff021.jpg

Stalkingwithjeff022.jpg

smart, i have been looking at the tactical bolt handles but they've been from America, where did you get your bolt handle done and knob from and how much. you can pm me if you dont want to publicise it

thanks Rich

smart, i have been looking at the tactical bolt handles but they've been from America, where did you get your bolt handle done and knob from and how much. you can pm me if you dont want to publicise it

thanks Rich

Hi Rich,

Get in touch with Col48 from here, very helpfull and i'm very happy with the work. For the fluting and Bolt knob came to around £130, well worth every penny.

Hi Rich,

Get in touch with Col48 from here, very helpfull and i'm very happy with the work. For the fluting and Bolt knob came to around £130, well worth every penny.

thanks for that, might be going to see Richard pope next week if we can arrange it to chop the rimmie down, was going to see what he can do but if no luck i will contact the above

Thanks Richard

• 6 months later...

Archived