how effective is JB paste?

adam204

I have been trying various loads for the new rifle over the last few weeks and I think I have baked a fair bit of powder and copper in the barrel!! I clean it carefully after every shooting session with Kg1 and KG12, but I noticed tonight there always seems to be one land which leaves a bluish brown streak on the patches. When I wash out the solvents and use a clean wet patch it seems to disapear but when I then put subsequent dry pathches through I keep getting dirt on them. Any way back to my question.... Is JB paste any good for this kind of stubborn dirt? Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best from using it?

Thanks in dvance

Adam

Yes. Very carefully! JB has been the downfall of many barrels when used over enthusiastically.

Use very low pass numbers i.e. 6-8 and then clean bore completely before inspection. BTW JB will produce black patches FOREVER, even when all the rifling has worn away. Do not take this as an indication of fouling.

Regards

Gareth

Throw the kg crap in the bin, and buy a bottle of hoppes 009 [for the carbon] and a bottle of sweets 7.62 for the copper. I GUARANTEE they will remove it.

JB bore paste is an absolute last resort on a barrel that will just not "come round".

Yes. Very carefully! JB has been the downfall of many barrels when used over enthusiastically.

Use very low pass numbers i.e. 6-8 and then clean bore completely before inspection. BTW JB will produce black patches FOREVER, even when all the rifling has worn away. Do not take this as an indication of fouling.

Regards

Gareth

Norman Clark has a section of barrel with the rifling almost polished smooth because of over-enthusiastic use of JB.

The owner said it came out balck every pass so i carried on going, now its worse then it was before!

Ian

Without climbing back into the loft, i,m certain its 009. Its the one in the small bottle, with a red label, and smells like pear drops [acetone] its also the cheap one, at around £3 a bottle. The no.9 is a copper solvent.

You do indeed need a nylon brush for sweets....it will eat a phosphor bronze one like lightning. Wash your brush out in a solvent after use too.

Archived