Got my new combi gun at last!

Hey guys. I picked up my long awaited BRNO combination gun today. They're a nightmare to find and seem very rare in this country, a shame really because they're very popular on the continent. Mine is a 12g top barrel and 7x57R bottom barrel. That should do for almost anything from Pigeons and Pheasant to Red Deer so I think it will be getting a bit of use.

We had some trouble in the shop. The rifle hasn't been through UK proof and we didn't recognise any of the marks. Luckily after a quick call to the proof house they confirmed that the BRNO proof marks were acceptable. Then it came to putting the gun back together. What a job that was. The action is so tight it's a struggle to get the barrels back on once they're removed. I bought the gun as old stock with no history. It looks to be unfired but has a lot of wear to the finish in places having been sat around the gun shop since 1992! The give away to its use for me is that when you open the action there are no primer rings around the firing pin holes, the fine machining lines (it is a BRNO after all!) are unmarked.

It's a right rough and ready brute! It doesn't have a great finish and as said above the action is that tight it feels like a spring air rifle to break! Hopefully a load of heavy rounds will loosen it up a bit. Here's a picture. I think it's a great toy (sorry tool) and I expect to use it a lot. It cost me £800 after RFD fees. Steep for a BRNO I thought when I first looked into getting it. That was before my RFD looked into getting me a new one from BRNO. Over £2500 so I bought this one quick! :)

BRNOCombi002.jpg

Love the idea of combination guns & drillings. Make sure the shotgun barrel doesn't move your point of aim on the rifle too much! Hope you have much fun with it!

Out of interest, do you have any restrictions on your cert for it? And was there any hassle justifying it to the plod?

At the moment I can only shoot Deer with it because the conditions weren't printed as I asked them to be. I'll be sending my FAC back for that to be fixed. I hope to get "all legitimate quarry" or something similar.

As for justifying it, no problem at all. They didn't even ring me to ask for details which surprised me a little.

Archived