G'Day folks

shakari

G'day folks,

I've just signed up and thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Steve, aka Shakari and I'm an ex pat Brit living in sunny South Africa and working in the safari industry for the last umpteen years.

Nice to meet you steve, which bit of SOuth Africa mate

We're just outside the town of White River which is about a 20 minute drive from the SW corner of the Kruger National Park....... about a 4 hour drive or 50 minute flight from Johannesburg.

We're just outside the town of White River which is about a 20 minute drive from the SW corner of the Kruger National Park....... about a 4 hour drive or 50 minute flight from Johannesburg.

Hi Steve,

You must be near Sabi Sands - nice bit of countryside there. Very good game reserve.

Andrew

Andrew,

Yes mate, I know Sabi Sands very well. I've done a lot of research there over the years and a couple of game counts and also flew the area just after the 2000(?) floods to do a survey of surviving croc and hippo populations etc........ If you know the Sabi Sands residential area, we came close to buying a place there about 7 years ago but decided it was too damn hot!!!!!

welcome.

My wife and I just (last week) booked an Africa holiday for the beginning May to that area. We're coming into Jo-burg and flying to Kreuger for 5 days, then popping over to Mauritius for another 7.

Don't suppose there is any guided bird hunting in the area near Kreuger? I'd love to do some shooting while we're down that way, but the big game stuff doesn't do it for me or my wallet. I could spring for a day of bird hunting if such a thing exists.

Thanks,

Rick

Guest Scotland Rifles

Welcome Steve,

where are you from back here,

the site is a good one mate, nice people and not to many silly posts to be found.

bob.

Casts By Fly,

We don't do wingshooting in this area but a buddy of mine might be able to organise something. I'll have a word with him for you and will get back to you.

Bob,

born and raised in Chislehurst Kent, then onto Kew when I was about 20, then moved around Berkshire, Bucks and Oxfordshire a bit before moving out here......... wish I'd come out here some years before I did.

If you're flying into KMIA to get into the KNP, you'll only be about 15 minutes from my house. If you have any problems, call me on 0832 777114.

I should mention that we'll be at Arathusa Lodge in Sabi Sands.

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

Take a camera with a fairly long lens to Sabi Sands or else pictures of cheetah etc won't come out very well.

If you want some wing shooting you'll have to go further west in the Transvaal away from the game reserves. I would highly recommend walked up francolin with pointers, or else you can do driven guineafowl or even sandgrouse. There is also some good duck shooting. You might be a bit early in May though.

Andrew

Archived