7mm08 for a South Africa trip?

HI lads...Im planning on a trip to south africa next year for a shot or two.......

Now my question is for ye that have been there and done that....Will my 7mm08 cut the mustard over there or will I need something like a 7mm rem mag ect ect....

rgds

Dwight

If you're planning on shooting plains games then anything from a 270 up will work, I shot all my animals with a 30-06, everything from duiker and vervet monkeys up to zebra and Kudu. I have seen Eland taken at 150 yards with a 270 and it never went anywhere. A 308 would also do the job fantastically, most of the PH's that I spoke to used them. Where abouts in SA are you headed to and what are you shooting? Where I was the shots ranged from 30 yards right out to 303 yards, but once you've been you'll want to go back again, and again and again. It's fantastic out there.

I forgot to add that it may be worth, if you have the option taking a 'standard' calibre such as a 270, 308, 30-06 etc as they are the most common out there and if your luggage goes 'walkies' on the way out there you'll still be able to hunt with your own rifle and ammunition that the outfitter will no doubt have in their safe. I found this out last time I was out there hunting, my rifle turned up in port elizabeth but my luggage and ammunition didn't and i used the outfitters ammo until mine turned up. If you're traveling through Joberg on the way home takes some kudu biltong for the Saps people, they love it and it's cheaper then tipping.

Dwight,

Good advice there, especially the one on a "standard" calibre. However, ammo supplies in RSA are probably better than the rest of Africa.

For comprehensive info on African safaris go to: shakariconnection.com/ where you will find much useful info.

Have you decided where you are going and with what outfitter? If you haven't, I recommend that you discuss the matter with the owner(Steve Robinson) of the above website. I'm sure that he will be able to give you good recommendations as to suitable areas and reputable hunting companies. Above all, do your research ie due diligence.

To reinforce Pauls warning, Safari is very addictive and there is no cure except to return.

If I can be of any help, PM me.

Peter

thanks for the replie lads.... I think its out of Johanasburg...

The details are sketchy at the moment untill I catch up with a friend that has just retuned from there...

I dont want to go and get myself a 308 or 270 as my 7mm08 is more than enough gun for here in Ireland...but I have my eye on a second hand blaser lrs 2 in 300 win mag http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:-kOeD7P...mmo.com/catalog going for good money..All it needs is a blaser hunter stock and good to go plus I can use it at the range for 6-800 range work. I`ve shot this rifle and it shoots 1/2 inch at 100 no problems...its a delight to shoot with a t8 of course....

Do you think the 7mm08 will be enough gun for out there?

I should think that the 7-08 would be enough gun for most plainsgame with the possible exception of the larger, tougher species(zebra, eland, oryx etc). I assume that you'll be using a premium bullet eg Nosler Partition or similar?. Your choice of bullet weight may depend on where you will be hunting. If in a wide open place where long shots, say over 250 yds, are the norm, you might want to pick a lighter bullet so that you have the range. OTOH if the area is bushveldt such that shots may be shorter, you might wish to consider a heavier bullet.

You might consider discussing the matter with the aforementioned Steve Robinson who will probably have knowledge of your hunting area and is likely to be in a position to advise you better than I am able.

Peter

Edited to add: Personally, I'd go with the 300WM, with 180 or 200 premiums.

+ 1 on the 300 win mag, it'll kill everything plains game wise that you could wish to hunt plus it should be a nice and flat shooter as well so if long shots are required it'll always be a bonus. I used the Barnes TSX and couldn't fault them, thier performance was phenominal, but at the same time the other guys used federal fusion which also performed perfectly well. Practice shooting at all ranges off of sticks, you may be able to shoot off of a bipod when you're out there but there'll alawys be those quick shots that require sticks. Also a big bonus is the long legged bipods for sitting down shots, thats what our outfitter wanted us to shoot from. Depending on your hunting style you may wish to ask who you're going with how they hunt. Some places like you to shoot from the truck, others strictly prohibit it. Personally I prefer the walk and stalk style of hunting as I feel it's fairer and significantly more of a challenge. Also if you're traveling through Joberg make sure you have a good quality hard case as they're not particularly fussy how they handle your rifle. A good one to watch for is excess baggage, SAA charged us for the excess weight as sporting rifles aren't sporting goods apparently, but with BA they are - so no excess baggage weights with them. I found just from preference that SAA were vastly better to travel with, more geared up for the firearms and better customer service but thats just my oppinion.

If you're hunting in thick bush make sure you wear a good quality tick repellant. I didn't and spent a week in hospital on intravenous antibiotics when I got home as I had tick bite fever. Not a pleasant experience I can garuntee you. If you shoot kudu when you're there they are generally the ones that'll be infested with ticks which is where I got bitten. I think the hospital said thast I had at least 8 infested bites and over 40 other tick bites on my calfs. I was obviously very tasty.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

A couple of pointers following from Paul.

To avoid ticks and similar nasties, wear long trousers and long sleeved shirts, treat all your trousers and shirts with Permethrin. This should last for the duration of your trip. Also use a repellent such as Jungle Formula on your skin. Boots sell a formulation which contains about 30 or 50% DEET in an oil base. This will last most of the day whereas the usual stuff needs reapplication every 3 to 6 hours.(don't waste money on a formulation with 100% DEET, after about 50% the effectiveness drops off rapidly). Stick to the instructions in each case. Do not use Permethrin on your skin. Jungle Formula and similar DEET products are ineffective on clothing. You'll also need a good sunscreen.

Shooting off a tripod is the norm. As Paul said, shooting from the hunting car is usually frowned upon.

A hard guncase is a good investment. Remove the bolt and put it, suitably protected, in your checked baggage, along with the ammo. Make sure you have the necessary keys of the case, as well as your FAC, because there is a security inspection at LHR and Gatwick, both departing and arriving.

Get to the airport in plenty of time, go to the appropriate airline help desk and ask if you can start the security process. If you wait until check-in time, you almost certainly be the last to board the aircraft. Watch your checked baggage to ensure that the correct label is put on it.

Anyway, when you are closer to the time, ask on this forum again.

Once again look at; http://www.shakariconnection.com/ and you'll find the answers to many, many questions.

Yes, I am getting flashbacks, it afflicts all who go on Safari and is incurable. Once you've been, it doesn't stop at plainsgame, either.

If you get onto Skype, I'd be happy to bore you with my safari withdrawal symptoms for hours.

Peter

Dwight, I think your 7-08 will be ideal for most things.

Choose bullets wisely.

You will be glad to have a light rifle, they often free hand shoot or

shoot off sticks down there.

Some of our lads here go down almost every year. Heard very

good things of Myogi safaris Visit Website about two hours

from Port Elizabeth, I also met the two lads that run the outfit. No Malaria.

I'm just helping my son who turned 16, to get his gear together as he's booked in for

a game ranger course in that area. Pity I can't go, really missing the place

after spending my childhood there.

edi

Mayogi safaris are meant to be very good. They have a very nice concession (I've hunted Blesbok and Zebra there as well they have some outstanding Eland). I've also hunted twice with Umlilo Safaris, and I believe they are family relations. Both are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Port Elizabeth. If you're in that kind of area theres several non hunting places that are fantastic to visit The Daniel cheetah reserve, the Lion Reserve and The Addo elephant park. All are well worth a visit. The terain is spectacular. I'd go back tomorrow if I wasn't saving for my wedding and buying a house. Bugger I hate getting older and being sensible. Umlilos website is www.umlilosafaris.co.za The Dorflings that run it are fantastic people and the food is spectacular. They really do make you feel like part of the family.

Here are the web addresses where I posted hunting reporst if you fancy a gander.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/fo...04707#415104707

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/fo...05178#184105178

Plenty of good advice already given here and thanks to Pete for kindly recommending my website!

As Pete says, the 300 WM will be a much better option that the 7mm. The .300 will be enough to take any of the plains game whereas the 7mm is a bit marginal for animals such as kudu, wildebeest, zebra and eland etc.

I'll add to the tick advice by saying you should use dog tick and flea shampoo instead of ordinary shower gel and make sure you cover every inch of your skin with it and leave it on long enough to kill any ticks you might have picked up in your hunting day............. it works a treat but if you find yourself sitting in the middle of the road and licking your balls, you're overdoing it!

The first time I went to RSA I took my 8X68S Weatherby Mk5 using the 187gr RWS H-Mantel copper- hollow point bullet.

It was too much gun for me, killing all my animals but also half-killing me in the process.

I had the `ring of incompetence` from the scope on my forehead after the first shot, [4010 Foot-Pounds of energy at the muzzle.]

The second time I went I took a .300 Win. Mag. Sako TRGS and used Federal ammo with the 180gr Nosler Partition bullet.

These worked perfectly on beasties up to and including Orynx, Red Hartebeeste and Kudu.

This time we travelled by Air France from Manchester Airport via Charles De Gaulle airport.

Police at Manchester airport wanted us to put our rifle bolts in our hand luggage, this we resisted and had them with our rifles in our secure hard cases. Ammo was in a separate locked metal box.

Unfortunately unknown to us the Police had advised another member of our group who had complied with their request and at Charles De Gaulle the Frogs found this chaps bolt and all our group were segregated and given the third degree.

We were finally released and only just got the `plane.

Upon our arrival at Jo`berg we found that the nasty Frogs had not put our firearms on the plane so we were put into nice digs for the night as there was only one flight per day.

Next day our rifles arrived and all seemed rosy apart from the fact that one days hunting was lost.

However, our internal flight to East London was for the previous day only and we had to pay again.

One airline refused to take us as we had firearms with us.

The hunting was no problem but after a lifetime on the mountains it was not really my scene.

Anyone going over would be well advised to contact their airline and find out their regulations regarding transport of rifles, ammo etc.

HWH.

Glad it's of use. The site comprises of about 550 pages now and covers all aspects of African safari in 12 African countries and about 170 species. It also has a book list of around 2000 titles of African hunting related books and DVDs.

And it's still growing! :rolleyes:

Shakari

Been there read that lot..... several times over and found it all very good info, such places of reference are always appreciated.

Just heard today that part of the new price hike in Airport Tax has come into effect..... bugger!!

Plenty of good advice already given here and thanks to Pete for kindly recommending my website!

As Pete says, the 300 WM will be a much better option that the 7mm. The .300 will be enough to take any of the plains game whereas the 7mm is a bit marginal for animals such as kudu, wildebeest, zebra and eland etc.

I'll add to the tick advice by saying you should use dog tick and flea shampoo instead of ordinary shower gel and make sure you cover every inch of your skin with it and leave it on long enough to kill any ticks you might have picked up in your hunting day............. it works a treat but if you find yourself sitting in the middle of the road and licking your balls, you're overdoing it!

thanks for the links mate and the advice on the tick shampoo.....

Does it come in anti dandruff? :rolleyes:

Mayogi safaris are meant to be very good. They have a very nice concession (I've hunted Blesbok and Zebra there as well they have some outstanding Eland). I've also hunted twice with Umlilo Safaris, and I believe they are family relations. Both are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Port Elizabeth. If you're in that kind of area theres several non hunting places that are fantastic to visit The Daniel cheetah reserve, the Lion Reserve and The Addo elephant park. All are well worth a visit. The terain is spectacular. I'd go back tomorrow if I wasn't saving for my wedding and buying a house. Bugger I hate getting older and being sensible. Umlilos website is www.umlilosafaris.co.za The Dorflings that run it are fantastic people and the food is spectacular. They really do make you feel like part of the family.

Here are the web addresses where I posted hunting reporst if you fancy a gander.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/fo...04707#415104707

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/fo...05178#184105178

Greatt pics Paul.....

Archived