6 mm BR

Guys,

I currently have a Remington 700 VS re barreled in 6 mm BR with the original HS precision stock fitted to it.

After the years of shooting my other rifle an accuracy international AE, I think the AICS stock has spoiled me.

I shoot more constantly and more comfortably with the AICS.

Im considering re stocking and would like any thoughts/advice on what stock to put on it.

One option is obviously stick with what I know and put an AICS on it, but am I correct in thinking the magazine will require considerable modification to feed? The current internal magazine has been modified and feeds reliably by Mike Norris.

Thanks Dan.

The aics mag will feed 6mmbr without any modification at all. My mags actually have a 3mm spacer in the front, but after a lot of use, i,ve realised they didnt need it. Some people use a thickish spacer at the rear, to centralise the rounds better in the feed lips, but i,ve never found any real problems.

Ejection is a different issue. Remmy bolts, and their clones usually dont eject well, as the extractor isn,t far enough round the bolt face. i fitted a sako extractor to my surgeon, and it sits bang opposite the ejector. This gives a flawless, and powerful ejection.

I,ve just used this very rifle to shoot an equal first [up to press] at the mcqueens at Bisley this weekend. It feeds and ejects flawlessly.

Thanks for advice guys, I knew someone would know. Thanks for the detailed explanation baldie. If I where to mod the magazine with a 3 mm spacer how much work wold it be. I could get a 3 mm thick spacer made out of aluminum quite easily. How would you go about it?

Regards Dan.

The mag will work without modding....usually. It all depends on the bullet type used. Some will feed better than others.

A 3mm spacer in the front is dead simple, it need shaping to be a nice tight fit, then devconning in. The rear spacer modification is more complex, and is better made from delrin. The spring needs moving, and also reprofiling.

AICS, s are designed to be a drop in fit. With any drop in fit stock, there is always going to be a compromise. NO action fits them perfectly, and unless a torque wrench is used on the screws, the action can be stressed very easily, just the same as any other stock type. Bedding does away with this.

Think Nell of this site shoots at 6BR with a AICS however i havent seen him onlyine for awhile, would be wourh giving him a PM, im sure he told me the mags cycle fine with only minor alteration

Nice to be missed <_< flat out shearing in norway at the moment with a computer virus :lol::D

Border barrels did mine, a small spacer at the rear of the mag works fine (never tried without) feeds and ejects no problem...

Nell

Thanks for replies guys, spoke to Baldie today over phone. And what a helpful chap he is! Thanks Baldie.

Probable solution is I order and an AICS 2.0 Tan with folding stock (as it looks good) try the standard mag as im assured it will feed without modding. And get the AICS skim bedded. Fit an new Schmidt and bender PM2 5-25x56 with Apel mounts on ken farrel base. The plans coming together! Then I to get rid of current Night force NSX if there's any offers.

Will post pics on completion.

Thanks for replies guys, spoke to Baldie today over phone. And what a helpful chap he is! Thanks Baldie.

Probable solution is I order and an AICS 2.0 Tan with folding stock (as it looks good) try the standard mag as im assured it will feed without modding. And get the AICS skim bedded. Fit an new Schmidt and bender PM2 5-25x56 with Apel mounts on ken farrel base. The plans coming together! Then I to get rid of current Night force NSX if there's any offers.

Will post pics on completion.

I think it would look better with the AI mounts, and would standards our kit ?

I think it would look better with the AI mounts, and would standards our kit ?

Its a good idea, and It would, but I already have the apel rings, and the standard non angled AI mounts won't fit the S&B 5-25x56. The AI mount designed for that scope has a -45' built in and the Farrel base has 20 MOA built already! Also the Apel picatiny rings work.

What is damned annoying about the AI 34 mil one piece mount, is that its £150+ . It looks like its made by sportsmatch, and if it was for an airgun, it would be £50 tops.

Someone is having a right drink at the taxpayers expense.

What is damned annoying about the AI 34 mil one piece mount, is that its £150+ . It looks like its made by sportsmatch, and if it was for an airgun, it would be £50 tops.

Someone is having a right drink at the taxpayers expense.

Very true Baldie, welcome to the crazy world of MoD defense procurement. If I could get Bader Ordinace rings then I would go for them, there a rip off aswell. have to stick with Apel for now.

On another subject, Will the AICS take larger custom recoil lugs like the one I have fitted to my barrel? Or does the AICS need milling out to accept them.

Archived