.222/.223

davo

Hi All, My first post on the forum and looking for advise,

I'm going to put in a variation some time soon for one of the above calibres, which one would you recommend apposed to the other, i.e. range, ammo prices etc, it will be used for longer range vermin and Fox, thanks.

Very little to choose between them performance wise, ammo for .223 may be a shade cheaper but should not be used as a deciding factor as you are unlikely to shoot 1000s of rounds are you. (If so then go .223).

When you say longer range what sort of distances are you thinking about, IMHO both these calibers are running out of puff in the mid/ late 200s. If you are planning on going further as a regular thing then look toward 22.250 for a factory round or one of the many delightfull wildcats or semi wildcats if you reload.

A

22/250

Moderated maybe, but it is certainly LOUD unmoddied. Also you dont get to see your kills usually as the recoil takes the scope off the target. Certainly with a NBT on board a very destructive round.

A

You mentioned longer range in your original post then its got to be .223 preferably in 1/9 or 1/8 twist to shoot the heavies.The 222 won,t keep up beyond 200yds period!!If you can afford a sako in 223 vls then this is the one to go for as I have witnessed shots going boringly accurate into the same mark at 500yds plus.Not that I intended it for long range but I have sold my Sako .222 it was good but not good enough and an expensive mistake!The .223 will do it all if you are comparing just these two calibres. Cheers Onehole.

I shoot both. I like the.222 for inherent accuracy. The .223 brass may be cheaper, but the .222 brass is more uniform. If you're shooting game to 250 yards you won't find a finer cartridge. Take a look at the CZ 527... very accurate JMHO~Andrew

Guest 308Panther

Between the 2 ???

.223 no question.

The .222 is all but dead here in the States.

The 2 that are used the most on varmints here would be the .22-250 and the .223

308Panther

Thanks for the replies people, I was kind of swinging toward the .223 already, but I think that will be my choice.

Paul B, I've already got a .17HMR, Sako Quad, like it a lot!!

Archived