Have you got a biltong/jerky recipe please?

Scotch_egg

Guest varmartin

Thats a good link and looks easy too.

Questions?...

Is it the drying or the spices that cures the meat?

After all its still uncooked.?

Are there any safety precausions one should take

so as not to get food poisoning?

Well I did my first batch today. Made up my own recipe which was a mix of pretty much all the one's I have seen on line. I dried it in my fan oven with the door propped open.

Lesson's learnt today include

1) Don't cut the meat too thin

2) Keep the oven temp as low as possible

3) Keep an eye on it and don't get cocky leaving the house for 3 hours with the jerky still in the oven!!!

The thicker pieces are much better, I've got another pound in the firdge marinating with added honey and black pepper that will be in the oven tomorrow afternoon when I get back from work.

Well the difference is amazing. After the cup of honey and the black pepper its added new depths of flavour. The only problem is my dad came round and stole most of it.

Best get out and bagme another buck,

thanks for the advice panther, if you are ever over this side of the pond you have an open invite.

Dave

Maybe I overdid the Habenaro some....

I could only laugh my a+s off when he hobbled weak kneed,sweaty and pale

from the most important room.

Ah, the old Ring Of Fire I see Pat :D

Towey stuff that habanero .. .

Dropped 4kg of quality venison bits off to the husband of one of my secretaries the other day. He has a business making excellent crumbed meatballs so I decided to let him have a go on some venison. He has ideas of some with red wine and some with some juniper berries in them. Hope it turns out as nice as his beef meatballs.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed bushwear has a"jerkygun" uses minced meat ....

guess wwould be easier to mix in spices then put thru the "jerkygun" into strips then marinade

really fancy giving this a go ...

anyone used this jerky gun or just dinnae bother?

sauer

A few years back I found this site on the net and more or less copied their biltong box design and made some improvements to it by adding a fan taken out of an old computer and fitted on one of the sides at the bottom. Drilled the holes as show on the site, fitted two rails to the top, a 60 watt light bulb at the bottom partially covered to protect if from the dripping juices and it works like a dream. Can make wet biltong in a day and the dry version in 1.5 days. Worth a try. I had found an old cabinet drawer and that made the carcass of the box, then added a door and that was it. Very cheap to make and easy to use.

http://www.biltongbox.com/biltong.html

Their forum section is worth a look as well, as it has a wealth of information.

http://www.biltongbox.com/talk/viewforum.p...60bf5377d93117f

Hope this helps.

Best,

George

guys any of you got a good place where you can buy "liquid smoke" ?

or know where to get it in the uk?

tried ebay , the items are well priced but the postage is nuts!!!!!!

sauer

cheers paul,

ive bought couple o jerky packs from couple o places to try but i heard that if making your own marinade your best using this " liquid smoke"

apparently makes difference atween good jerky and bad

sauer

well i bought a cheap jerky gun for doin jerky with mince

marinading mince overnite tonite and try it tomorrow if i have time

will keep you updated!!!

doing a batch with beef mince and one with sowey sheep mince

sauer

ps what difference between biltong and jerky? just terminology from different areas?

I believe that you have to cook jerky? Where as biltong is simply a slice of meat (silverside) about 1/2" thick that is dipped in vinegar (kills the bacteria) and then marinaded in spices over night in the fridge (coriander salt pepper, pretty much anything you fancy Lekker do a good pre mixed spice) The excess is brushed off and then the meat is just hung to dry in a biltong box. It can take anywhere from 2 - 3 days to dry to a couple of weeks depending on if you like biltong dry or moist in the middle. Me I like it a bit moist in the middle.

i often make biltong if its a biltong spice recipe you after?????????

most of the ones I have read on the net are ass about face and taste awfull

silentsoulsleave... please let me know, I have also tried alot of internet recipes but all get close but not like the one I get from Bisley, BlueRock Butchers http://bluerockbiltong.co.uk/

This is amazing stuff. I love it when its very wet!! and plenty of fat, The fat tastes better than the meat. :P

silentsoulsleave, please can you get your recipe to me :lol:

well just finished my 1st batch of "cheats" jerky

as said earlier i bought a jerky gun which throws out minced meat in strips or rods like a pepperami.

ive tried strips first.

the meat is sowey sheep mince butchered by myself from sheep fae local estate, i got some carcasses from the keeper ! result!

i used a pre bought pack which contained the cure also (ebay is fab )

and did it in the oven as per destructions

after these photos were taken i tasted ...AMAZING!!!!!

but decide to give it a wee bit longer....excellent im converted !!!

next batch o just beef mince is marinading as we speak and i have a freezer full o venison to try.

ill also go for the 1/4 inch strips o meat just cut and try that i think

ok its mince and a cheat using the jerky gun but its quick and tastes amazing!!! ...did i say that already? oops

P6250017.jpg

P6250015.jpg

sauer

Thanks sauer

Think I will have to get one of them guns too! Had wondered about how to cook them as I assumed it would not be possible to hang from tooth picks :huh:

How long did they take? Thinking of making some turkey to start with as a local supplier has turkey mince at £2 for 2kg and it would make great dog training treats ;) By then the novelty of phesant will ahve worn off and may get my hands on a glut of those....

hi bluebell

as you can see i used a grill pan rack and i used a baking wire rack too...

apparently far better on a rack than a baking tray......worked for me....

ill keep eyes open in tescos for racks with small holes so doesnt fall "between" the wire

i bought sachets of various flavourings off of ebay they do 5lbs of meat/mice and enclosed in pack is correct amount of cure which is essential

followed destructions on sachet that came with the jerky gun

mixed up sachet with mince (no different t mixing for sausages)

pre-heat oven to 200 F or around 100C

place in oven for 75 mins then turn over and another 60 mins had door closed on oven as instructed some say leave it cracked open?

if you think it needs bit longer give it more time but check every 5 mins

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/styles.php?Produ...amp;ClassID=140 (never used these)

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?Pro...amp;ClassID=140 where i got my jerkygun

sauer

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to making some - have to say that I had a bit of a problem getting them to come out firm enough so didnt manage to get them on to a rack. But the kit from Bushwear didnt say marinate over night and it was rather cheep watery mince. Having said that the dogs will sell their souls for it so a great training aid.

However I notice that the pack from bushwear includes 'cure' (sodium nitirite) which is not exactly healty SO has anyone done this using salt instead? If so how does it effect shelf life? How much did you use?

Jan

Archived