Diggle Winter 600yd BR Comps

The first PSSA / UKBRA winter series 600yd 'Precision Rifle' (Benchrest) competition at Diggle was programmed for Saturday 31st October, but this clashed with the F-Class European Championship event at Bisley.

The Diggle match has been postponed to Sunday 15th November as a result.

Vince Bottomley is also considering having a PSSA 1,000yd BR practice day at Diggle each month starting in early 2010, to be held on a weekday, now that the ranges are no longer tied up with police training Mon-Fri.

Laurie

The weekday practises are a good idea for those who can make it laurie. i know a lot of people [myself included ] are fed up with having to spend the best part of 9 hours locked in, just to shoot 20 rounds. This is down to the ridiculous amount of time some people spend, just getting on target. A competent shooter should be able to do it in 3-5 rounds....some are taking half an hour.

The 600 yard matches are great.They dont have the "luck" element of 1000 yards, nor do they have the "arms race " element of 100 yards.

You just have to be a damned good shot to do anything....which is why i believe its so popular.

The weekday practises are a good idea for those who can make it laurie. i know a lot of people [myself included ] are fed up with having to spend the best part of 9 hours locked in, just to shoot 20 rounds. This is down to the ridiculous amount of time some people spend, just getting on target. A competent shooter should be able to do it in 3-5 rounds....some are taking half an hour.

The 600 yard matches are great.They dont have the "luck" element of 1000 yards, nor do they have the "arms race " element of 100 yards.

You just have to be a damned good shot to do anything....which is why i believe its so popular.

Dave,

funny you say that - about time-wasting - as Vince held a 1,000yd " training day" last Tuesday to help sort that problem out with certain individuals, not only ensuring they were sighted in for today's comp, but also to try and get them to understand the principles.

I went along and marked targets while this bit of the proceedings took place. Vince said the reult was at least partly achieved, but I think it was hard work for him!

I had a session myself later, shot a couple of groups on paper, but had my real fun plinking on one of the foot-square sighting-in boards on the backstop. It's childish I know, but there is a real pleasure on seeing your hits, or when you're just off, on such a small target at this range. This was with my 308 GBFCA F/TR tube-gun, but with bag-riding attachments to use a pedestal front-rest. It was so stable, I'd no trouble seeing the strikes.

The other objective was to compare identical 155gn Scenar loads with out of the box bullets v 'pointed' examples that had been through a Whidden pointing die. That was inconclusive. Having sighted-in on a square with the pointed ammo, and four ex five shots going through it, I expected the unpointed examples to strike below, as pointing is expected to flatten the trajectory by around 1-MOA worth at 1,000yd, 10 inches. Sure enough, some unpointed bullets hit just below the square, but as many went through it. It could be pointing reduced the verticals however on the basis of the observed strikes. The only way of knowing for sure would be a proper long-range test on paper with several groups, which wasn't possible on this day.

We were unlucky with the weather - it was the day the Indian summer broke and pretty grim. Dark, windy, cold, low cloud, drizzle etc., so we couldn't start until after midday when the cloud finally lifted above the hill behind the butts, and had to pack in after around two and a half hours when the light went and the cloud dropped again.

Laurie

PS I agree with you about the 600yd precision rifle shoots except on one point. I think you do need some seriously good kit and ammo to do well in them unless you're exceptionally lucky as well as being a good shot. What is great is to see all the 'Factory Sporter' entrants with Savage 12 Fs, Hbar Remys, and Accuracy AEs etc. It is still just short enough range for a good shooter with a 308 or 6.5X47 to challenge the 6.5-284s and suchlike unless it's one of Diggle's 'bad wind days'.

Now your talking!!!, 600 yrds now thats what i like!!!!!!

To be honest i cant wait for the first one????

Hope to of sorted my comp load ot by then???

All the best,, Darrel

Laurie, How did you get on on saturday??

Darrel,

horrendous day weather-wise - rain squalls in the morning, and near gales all day. The flags were twitching (some spinning through 360-degrees!) continuously. The winning agg (out of 24 entrants) was a massive 0.401" !!

I'd a bad start with 0.6, 0.7, then 0.8!!! Got my act together after lunch with everything under half-inch including 2nd smallest group in the whole match at 0.246" - was very pleased with that as you can imagine. (Out of the box .204 Savage 12lrpv beats three and a half grand 6PPC bench guns, it makes a great story!) The 'proper' BR guns were struggling to drop into the threes, there were very few 'twos' and nobody shot a 'one' all day.

In your absence, I won FS without any trouble - real shame you couldn't make it. I got my 6PPC Lawton HV rifle from Russ Gall yesterday (he was 2nd overall with it behind Bruce Lenton) so you'll have to find some new competition in 2010.

Laurie

This is good news

I also find it frustrating when certain individuals fail to get "on" or a late due to poor preparation at comps.

Its simple math.

If you know your velocity and are zero'd at a particular distance, you should be able to work out pretty simply what the come up is to be on at 1000 give or take a MOA or two.

Vince must have been tearing his hair out!!

A wind reading course would be an idea I would subscribe to if one were to take place.......

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick one to say that we have some NEW certificates for prizes at the shoots....

Both classes - Light Gun & Factory Sporter

1st

2nd

3rd

Small group

The small group patches and prize money will still exist as well, but a little something to hang on the wall and get photographed with.

For those who have been shooting in this season's 100 and 1000 yard comps, I have lots to hand out.......... Darrel & Laurie you have enough between you to fill the yellow pages <_<

For those who have never had a go, get yourself along and have some fun, as said, 600 yards has a certain air of fun to it, and all sorts of guns have been used. I have shot most of last season with my custom 223 and has some good results.

All the best, hope to see some of you there.

Bruce

Archived