Dog Gone Good Bench Bag

At the risk of being accused of favouritism, nepotism, biased views or any other back slapping euphamism one cares to think of :lol: I repeat the review I carried out of the Dog Gone Good Bench Bag I won in late 2006.

The review passed without any critique and I stand by my comments made then, it has served me well....

In early October 2006, I was kindly informed that I had won a Dog Gone Good Bench Bag courtesy of this forum and the prize sponsor Shootingbags UK.

My prize arrived in a stout cardboard box a couple of days later and I was surprised when I opened it that the bag came pre filled with polypropelyne beads, which were very well compacted into the bag with no loose spots whatsoever. It came ready to use.

The main body of the bag is made from a nylon or cordura materiel, which is very heavy duty and I guess would withstand year upon year of use in the field. It is in

a "H" shape pattern, free standing and quite heavy for its size, which allows a rock steady resting position with a rifle held tightly in the swede "jaws".

DSC00341.jpg

A simple strap attachment allows the bag to be carried over the shoulder from vehicle to firing point.

DSC00340.jpg

I took the Bench Bag to my range yesterday for a long overdue session at varied distances. I usually shoot off a machine rest or bipod, so was interested to see the results from the Bench Bag.

It wasn't the best day for zeroing as there was a gusting wind of bettween 15 mph to 24 mph blowing from right to left throughout the session, this was intersperced with lovely showers!

I set up my rifle in the jaws of the bag leaving my bipod still attached, the jaws are quite tight, due to the packing of the beads and I think that even rifle with slim forends would be held quite tightly - so there was to be no "free recoil" or riding of the bag by the forend when the trigger is pulled. I used a standard Bald Eagle rear bag for support to the butt.

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

I shot the rifle at my usual zero target set out at 130 yards and say that my three shots had formed a reasonable tight cluster (for the conditions) to the left of my aiming point, yes, I was aiming at the drawing pin! - as expected due to the wind speed.

DSC00342.jpg

It was immediatley noticable on firing that the bag absorbed quite alot of recoil due to the fact that the jaws were gripping the forend. The point of impact was entirely as expected and the rifle displayed no unusual traits as found when some are set on sand bags, bipods or machine rests sometimes. In short the bag is a very stable rest.

I then set out a target a little further at 300 yards and using my windmeter, rangefinder and Exbal dialed in the required readings (altitude, windspeed, wind direction, range etc) into my Palm device and having computed the ajustments, I set the scope as per the readings for that range.

Bear in mind that the wind had not changed and was still very, very strong.

I set the rifle up for this target and fired three shots, the result is shown below, the squares are 1" across and the group is 1.3" - two shots have hit the same mark the third to the right was shot mid-gust.

DSC00344.jpg

To summarise, I am very impressed with the Bench Bag, it does exactly what it is intended for and provides a very stable shooting position, which is easily carried to and from your firing point. For an informal range session or period of varmint hunting from one FP, it is ideal - would I buy one?

Yes - but I don't have to now do I? ;)

Sorry Andy I`m not having it ;)

I will only accept your outcome when you have purchased said item for at least double the recommended retail price and only then if you can provide two material witnesses to prove you weren`t influenced in any way at purchase :lol::lol:;):lol:

Sorry Andy I`m not having it ;)

I will only accept your outcome when you have purchased said item for at least double the recommended retail price and only then if you can provide two material witnesses to prove you weren`t influenced in any way at purchase :lol::lol:;):lol:

Good right up, much better piece of kit. ;) The bench bags are really good for a firm rest when shooting or zeroing.

Kal

At the risk of being accused of favouritism, nepotism, biased views or any other back slapping euphamism one cares to think of :angry: I repeat the review I carried out of the Dog Gone Good Bench Bag I won in late 2006.

The review passed without any critique and I stand by my comments made then, it has served me well....

In early October 2006, I was kindly informed that I had won a Dog Gone Good Bench Bag courtesy of this forum and the prize sponsor Shootingbags UK.

My prize arrived in a stout cardboard box a couple of days later and I was surprised when I opened it that the bag came pre filled with polypropelyne beads, which were very well compacted into the bag with no loose spots whatsoever. It came ready to use.

The main body of the bag is made from a nylon or cordura materiel, which is very heavy duty and I guess would withstand year upon year of use in the field. It is in

a "H" shape pattern, free standing and quite heavy for its size, which allows a rock steady resting position with a rifle held tightly in the swede "jaws".

DSC00341.jpg

A simple strap attachment allows the bag to be carried over the shoulder from vehicle to firing point.

DSC00340.jpg

I took the Bench Bag to my range yesterday for a long overdue session at varied distances. I usually shoot off a machine rest or bipod, so was interested to see the results from the Bench Bag.

It wasn't the best day for zeroing as there was a gusting wind of bettween 15 mph to 24 mph blowing from right to left throughout the session, this was intersperced with lovely showers!

I set up my rifle in the jaws of the bag leaving my bipod still attached, the jaws are quite tight, due to the packing of the beads and I think that even rifle with slim forends would be held quite tightly - so there was to be no "free recoil" or riding of the bag by the forend when the trigger is pulled. I used a standard Bald Eagle rear bag for support to the butt.

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

I shot the rifle at my usual zero target set out at 130 yards and say that my three shots had formed a reasonable tight cluster (for the conditions) to the left of my aiming point, yes, I was aiming at the drawing pin! - as expected due to the wind speed.

DSC00342.jpg

It was immediatley noticable on firing that the bag absorbed quite alot of recoil due to the fact that the jaws were gripping the forend. The point of impact was entirely as expected and the rifle displayed no unusual traits as found when some are set on sand bags, bipods or machine rests sometimes. In short the bag is a very stable rest.

I then set out a target a little further at 300 yards and using my windmeter, rangefinder and Exbal dialed in the required readings (altitude, windspeed, wind direction, range etc) into my Palm device and having computed the ajustments, I set the scope as per the readings for that range.

Bear in mind that the wind had not changed and was still very, very strong.

I set the rifle up for this target and fired three shots, the result is shown below, the squares are 1" across and the group is 1.3" - two shots have hit the same mark the third to the right was shot mid-gust.

DSC00344.jpg

To summarise, I am very impressed with the Bench Bag, it does exactly what it is intended for and provides a very stable shooting position, which is easily carried to and from your firing point. For an informal range session or period of varmint hunting from one FP, it is ideal - would I buy one?

Yes - but I don't have to now do I? :D

At the risk of being accused of favouritism, nepotism, biased views or any other back slapping euphamism one cares to think of :angry: I repeat the review I carried out of the Dog Gone Good Bench Bag I won in late 2006.

a very good review Andy,but take it easy 7423821374497f0cf72618.gif

your like a bear.gif

with a sore head.

and not one mention of having it sent from the USA 1/2 stitched and then having your - finish the other 1/2 . :P:P

and shooting bags is a paying advertiser as well. well done you are getting the hang of it now. ;););)

ATB

Colin :D

Archived