S&B 12-50X56 PMII REview

Hi guys,

see www.targetshooter.co.uk (new October issue) for a Vince Bottomley review of the new big Schmidt (actually mine). Also a McRee Precision MSS stocked rifle, by the same man - an impressive if brutal looking modular alloy stock system

By the way it's FREE! (the online magazine, not the Schmidt & Bender or McRee stock - unfortunately)

Laurie

PS York Guns expect supplies from Germany any day now.

Mmmm looks like the turrets on production ones still go wrong ways round.If you are prepared to wait it as i did nearly 15 months!you can order any spec you like,1/8th clicks,up for ups down for downs and windage the right ways around as well.A 10 metre focus too!.There was one left at the Sportsman last time I knew!!!!!!Anybody want to see some pics I will put some up if you want.cheers Onehole.

Mmmm looks like the turrets on production ones still go wrong ways round.

Yes, still the European (or is it just S&B?) convention that turning the elevation knob clockwise makes you shoot higher, likewise windage adjustment the opposite of what most of us are used to.

The good news is that with the double-turn elevation turret (and one-turn for W), you just shouldn't 'get lost'. It's a matter of not forgetting the convention on the firing point or elsewhere and going the 'wrong' way without thinking.

S&B has sold a lot of PMIIs (4-16s, I think) to the US Marine Corps over the last three years - they have them on their new 7.62mm semi-auto M110 SASS Squad Marksman rifles. I wonder if the company rejigged the adjusters for this bunch of users?

Laurie

Yes, still the European (or is it just S&B?) convention that turning the elevation knob clockwise makes you shoot higher, likewise windage adjustment the opposite of what most of us are used to.

Laurie

Not a problem if you've been brought up on Central fullbore sights. I've gotta be very careful to wind scopes the "right" way.

That S&B is very tempting..

Chris-NZ

I really do think that S@B should have wised up to the worldwide need or preference for an alternative to their european version of scope adjustment systems after all it must be easily done as they would not have produced just 4 identical scopes for a special order if it was not practical or possible or cost effective.They were not doing anyone any favours here I only wanted one perhaps its a collectors item already??Sorry not for sale.Onehole.

Hmm.....I`ve been considering what to mount on the AW50 for a while with 40+ mag, the USO sn9`s are really too large. It is sort of manageable with a 27" tube until you put a sn9 on it......which leaves a NXS, March or S&B. March is out due only to a 5 year warranty otherwise has the features I want.

The S&B would have been the pick of the bunch had it had a reticule and turrets in the same language (0.25cm do not count - too fine for me). I don't mind moa or milrad but S&B do not have a moa based reticule for that scope (in fact I think the only moa ret they have is the Bryant). It sort of seems silly to have a FFP reticule (and the P4F is excellent) without 0.1milrad turret clicks.

I guess in a year or so S&B may have seen the light and offer an illuminated version (I did speak to a S&B engineer - no tech reason against an illuminated tube, just previeved market). That with 0.1 milrad click would have me reaching for my wallet.

I don't mind which way the turrets turn so much but the click spacing from experience with the 5-25x56 PMII are too close together for me. I feel I am more likely to loose a click on the S&B than a rev on the NXS.

For me, the S&B is close but no cigar......at the moment.

David

Archived