Rebarreling a TRG 42 into .416 Rigby

Guest Tiff

Having just got back from Canada, I feel the need for a larger caliber. So with two barrels going on each of my TRG's, I was thinking about adding another....

I know the .338LM was based on the .416 Rigby. So is there any reason why a .416 Rigby will not work on a TRG 42 .338 Lapua bolt face?

Any ideas as ever greatly appreciated.

Cheers Tiff

So then Tiff what you bump with a 416?

ATB Andy

I didn't actually get anything this time, since there was no room for a rifle in the kayak :D

However friends over there have got buffalo and grizz that they hunt on their 25,000 acre ranch. Plus with a chance to go to Africa next year, I need something above the .375 minimum.

So any ideas if it's possible? Since with a bit of jet lag still, I've probably missed a blatantly obvious reason why it would not work......

Cheers Tiff

Tiff, I think that we sometimes get bogged down in accuracy issues. I have worked and hunted in Canada (NWT) and certainly wouldn't have wanted to have carried a TRG around the mountains. (not going to comment on calibre as I have no experience in Africa but, in Canada, the vast majority of our clients used .300 Win mag or 7mm Rem mag with a few .338 Win mags thrown in for good measure; true, some guides use African calibres for bear protection but then lots use a 12g for the same job?) If I wanted to add an 'African' rifle to my battery, then I think I would get it in a classic sporter style either old or modern. I might get it in stainless synthetic though. Don't discount the idea of getting an old English mauser, I have a Westley Richards .275 (alongside a cupboard full of modern firearms) and love it. JC

Tiff, I think that we sometimes get bogged down in accuracy issues. I have worked and hunted in Canada (NWT) and certainly wouldn't have wanted to have carried a TRG around the mountains. (not going to comment on calibre as I have no experience in Africa but, in Canada, the vast majority of our clients used .300 Win mag or 7mm Rem mag with a few .338 Win mags thrown in for good measure; true, some guides use African calibres for bear protection but then lots use a 12g for the same job?) If I wanted to add an 'African' rifle to my battery, then I think I would get it in a classic sporter style either old or modern. I might get it in stainless synthetic though. Don't discount the idea of getting an old English mauser, I have a Westley Richards .275 (alongside a cupboard full of modern firearms) and love it. JC

I hear what your saying, but for me IF it is possible, adding a spare barrel is more of a cost saving measure, than an accuracy one. Personally I wouldn't mid carrying it around the mountains, since for me anything under 16 lbs is 'lightweight' :D I have my 30-338LM and .338 LM, but neither of those meet the minimum .375 rule that is in place in the parts of Africa I have contacts in.

I hear what your saying, but for me IF it is possible, adding a spare barrel is more of a cost saving measure, than an accuracy one. Personally I wouldn't mid carrying it around the mountains, since for me anything under 16 lbs is 'lightweight' :D I have my 30-338LM and .338 LM, but neither of those meet the minimum .375 rule that is in place in the parts of Africa I have contacts in.

Logic block apparent in all this.

Why a big calibre? I'll answer that: Stopping power at short range.

Is a 16lb sniper rifle optimised for fast deployment and short range snap shooting?

How much is a rebarrel? How much is a controlled round feed CZ550?

Yep it could be done.

But as BD points out, most "guide rifles" are short, portable and lightish weight.

Look towards CZ550 for the same price as a re-barrel.....

I also understand most bear are taken sub 50 yds, no need for the bulk of the TRG.

Maybe consider renting a pistol out there???

Thanks Ronin, so it can be done :D

While a CZ 550 may be a similar price, once decent glass, quality mounts etc are added it's 3-4x the price. An expense I could do without.

I find nothing wrong weight wise with using my TRG's for fast standing shots etc....something my trophy cabinet concurs with after this years haul :D

For me it's all about handling, familiarity and reliability, something my TRG's have in full.

Plus this way I can take the one rifle, and multiple calibers so I can choose depending on the days activity. Without the expense of taking 3 to 4 full rifles on the plane.

I think another variation is in order :huh:

When I was in Canada last year I had a big Grizzly turn up not far away from where I was lying prone waiting for a Deer. I backed off and left the area and there was no drama, but having my .375H&H in my hands really did help me keep my head in the situation! I can see why you want something on the bigger side of the .30 magnums, those things are like small cars with fur!

Archived