Need info on Steyr SSGs, in all cals

ChrisF

Hi Guys ,

Need info on the Steyr SSG rifles , in cals offer than 308 , what are the options on them in 22-250 & 243 , ie what twist barrels do they run , and what weight bullets do they LIKE .

I know the main weakness of them , ie the weak trigger guard & stock breakages .

Are the 10rd mags still available , and do the 22-250s run the same or different mags ?

Cheers CHris

Hi Guys ,

Need info on the Steyr SSG rifles , in cals offer than 308 , what are the options on them in 22-250 & 243 , ie what twist barrels do they run , and what weight bullets do they LIKE .

I know the main weakness of them , ie the weak trigger guard & stock breakages .

Are the 10rd mags still available , and do the 22-250s run the same or different mags ?

Cheers CHris

hope this help you chris

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/sportwaffen/

For anybody interested in an SSG PII in .22-250 Rem, there is a new one at York Guns for £955, or £540 off the current Sportsman's price for an SSG Police Tactical, what the current model is called (but not that it seems to have changed much or even at all from when it was called the SSG PII).

It's brand new, and been on the racks since before YGL moved to its current premises six years ago. YGL has never increased the price, while Sportsman's Gun Centre (Steyr UK importer) has steadily increased them due to inflation and the sinking pound v euro rate.

Don't ask me why it hasn't sold - I can only assume it's because of the calibre. Most SSGs that I've seen are used as target rifles, so it would have sold years ago in .308 Win. It's a bit heavy out of the box as a sporter.

I'd even considered buying it as the basis for a project rifle, but Steyrs are tricky to rebarrel as it's a barrel-receiver press, not screw, fit. Rebarrelling can be done, but I prefer a conventional set-up. On the other hand, people in the trade with experience of Steyrs tell me their factory barrel life is exceptional - a plus factor for a high round count .22-250 user.

Anybody interested should have a look at the company's website (www.yorkguns.com) and click on the 'Current Stock' section, then refine the search to Rifles.

Laurie

PS As many of you know, I do do some work for YGL, but there's (unfortunately) no benefit to me in helping them sell this rifle. It's only that I've looked at this rifle every other week now for 6 years and wondered why it's still there. There must be somebody somewhere in the UK who wants a .22-250 tactical rifle and likes the Steyr setup!

Is it a 1-9 twist barrel

I don't know, but doubt it very much. Nobody makes production .22-250s with this twist rate. SAAMI / CIP standard rate is 14", but a few American makers have adopted 12".

The only way to find out would be to have somebody check the rifle with a cleaning rod and tight patch.

Assuming it's the usual 14" rate, the .22-250 stabilises all 55gn bullet models, and works with 60-62gn flat-base expanding numbers. It won't stabilise the 68-70gn HP boat-tail match designs.

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

there 1 in 12 twist from waht i remember reading about them. i was close to buying one but went for a winchester in the end

i no xxxxxxx the gunsmith has one which he has rebarrelled. im sure he told me the factory rifle is 1 in 12

• 2 weeks later...

My Steyr SSG, in .22-250, had a 1 in 12 barrel twist. After one of the plazzy mags refused to feed and the next one lost the side catch, because the plastic shattered at the see- through rear window, I gave up and swapped it for a Sako 85, (stainless laminated.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My Steyr SSG, in .22-250, had a 1 in 12 barrel twist. After one of the plazzy mags refused to feed and the next one lost the side catch, because the plastic shattered at the see- through rear window, I gave up and swapped it for a Sako 85, (stainless laminated.)

Had the same thing happen to me... would not feed the rounds!! 3 new mags from sportsmans, still eating the rounds..... sold it and got sako 75, I love it :D

I had a model L varmint in the late 1980s in 22.250, one of the first 22.250s they built. 5 round plastic mag fed perfectly, shame it did not shoot as well as I was hoping. had a very long throat on it.

A

i see savage are doing a 22/250 with a 1 in 9 twist now. should be good

Yes,

I noticed that too. You can have the Savage 12 LRPV heavy barrel single-shot number in 22/250 with either a 9 or 12-inch twist. The 9 would make it quite some long-range foxing job with the 75 A-Max, assuming it gives the same accuracy as the 223 and 204 models.

The proviso would be that you don't have to carry the brute around much - they weigh over 12 lbs before you put a scope and bipod on, and the other question mark is whether Garlands would actually get one for you in the first place!

Laurie

Yes,

I noticed that too. You can have the Savage 12 LRPV heavy barrel single-shot number in 22/250 with either a 9 or 12-inch twist. The 9 would make it quite some long-range foxing job with the 75 A-Max, assuming it gives the same accuracy as the 223 and 204 models.

The proviso would be that you don't have to carry the brute around much - they weigh over 12 lbs before you put a scope and bipod on, and the other question mark is whether Garlands would actually get one for you in the first place!

Laurie

Rang Ospey rifles about one of these.

The price quoted was £1475 for that model and they said it would be a 3 month wait before they could get them in the country.

Personally , there is no way I would consider a Savage for that price - they where less than £1100 at the start of this year.

The huge price hike rise cannot be just attributed to the interest rate of the pound against the dollar - alot of the rise is

profiteering on both sides of the Atlantic

if I was going to spend £1500 on a tight twist in 22.250 , I would get a Good Sako 75 - Or Tikka M590 Varmint and put a match

grade barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. ( which is what I am Planning )

Alan

Rang Ospey rifles about one of these.

The price quoted was £1475 for that model and they said it would be a 3 month wait before they could get them in the country.

Personally , there is no way I would consider a Savage for that price - they where less than £1100 at the start of this year.

The huge price hike rise cannot be just attributed to the interest rate of the pound against the dollar - alot of the rise is

profiteering on both sides of the Atlantic

if I was going to spend £1500 on a tight twist in 22.250 , I would get a Good Sako 75 - Or Tikka M590 Varmint and put a match

grade barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. ( which is what I am Planning )

Alan

Alan

Yikes, that's a lot !!!! Mine was around £1,100 18 months ago, and that had risen appreciably from the original quote because of the pound. I know for a fact that the profiteering is not at Osprey - look back along the food chain to the official importer!

Laurie

Alan

Yikes, that's a lot !!!! Mine was around £1,100 18 months ago, and that had risen appreciably from the original quote because of the pound. I know for a fact that the profiteering is not at Osprey - look back along the food chain to the official importer!

Laurie

Absolutely right - the profiteering starts well before Osprey.

The chap at Ospey seemed slightly embarresed when telling me the new price.

He even suggested that he could build one on a Savage action for not much more.

It is ashame they are so expensive , they look an excellent rifle and no doubt very accurate - but I think they are pricing

themselves out of the market

Alan

Absolutely right - the profiteering starts well before Osprey.

The chap at Ospey seemed slightly embarresed when telling me the new price.

He even suggested that he could build one on a Savage action for not much more.

It is ashame they are so expensive , they look an excellent rifle and no doubt very accurate - but I think they are pricing

themselves out of the market

Alan

yes greed thats what its down to. any half good action with custom barrel on will do well i would think.

Archived