Another good nights foxing

sir-slots-alot

Another good night foxing.

Last night , I visited one of my shoots which I rarely get round to, with my shooting mate Dave.

Mr Ultrum, the farmer said he had seen a fox earlier that evening.

He jumped in his Landy and led myself and my shooting mate Dave , to a large field on the edge of his land.

His field is bordered by a 25 Acre maize field , owned by one of his neihbours.

Me and Dave split up so we could cover a larger area. We baited up along the hedge the borders with the maize feild , with some shot rabbits we brought along, .

At 7.20 pm The first fox cautiously stepped out of the hedge and started sniffing the ground, it slowly trotted toward me and stopped by the bait at 120 yrds away. I follwed its approach in my Zeiss scope and the 223 dropped it on the spot.

Not 2 mins had passed when I heard the familiar "Crack - Thump" - of a CF rifle hitting its mark. Dave was obviously in business too.

As it got too dark to see with my day scope , I quickly swapped it over for my NV setup.,, And waited.

I switched on my electronic fox caller. After a few mins . I saw 2 fox running it to the call , finally they stopped at about 80 yrds away - the fist one caught a 50 grain Vmax in the bib , and folded instantly

The other fox sprinted off ,,,, but made the mistake of stopping and looking back. I took the shot on and dropped it cleanly at about 180 yrds.

I contacted Dave who had been silent since his shot - Via two way radio and arrange to pick him up ..

Just got to the field where he had positioned himself , when the crack of his 223 signalled the end of another fox.

Anyway - we dropped 5 in the area - and managed to get another one at the back of the farm.

So Six fox and back in the house for a brew by 11: 00 pm ... Thats what you call a good night.

http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj347/s...urrent=fox1.jpg

http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/jj347/s...ent=work047.jpg

Alan

Hi mate , would it be better for you to not name the farmer. It will stop other unscropious people jumping on to your permisson, whuich is possible with a bit of home work. Just thinking of you .

Do you suffer any zero loss when swapping over from one to other?

A nice write up as well.

Hi mate , would it be better for you to not name the farmer. It will stop other unscropious people jumping on to your permisson, whuich is possible with a bit of home work. Just thinking of you .

Do you suffer any zero loss when swapping over from one to other?

A nice write up as well.

Hi spud,

Thanks for the reply mate.

I am not overly bothered about people knocking on this farmers door, as he rings me when he has a fox problem.

He said he gets several people who knock on his door each week, but is happy with the lads who control his vermin.

I swap over from my day scope to my night vision set up probably two or three times per week.

I was quite woried about zero loss when I moved from the tried and tested Optilock mounts, to the Leupold quick release. I was told by one gunsmith the I would need Apel mounts to avoid zero shift.

I can honestly say that there has been no zero shift whatsoever when swapping from my day to NV setup.

when I first started using this setup , I used to check the zero , every time I swapped over , but now I am confident with this kit.

Alan

I swap between day/NV using Leupold QR mounts and found no change in point of impact.

I used to worry and I would check zero every time I swapped. After a few goes and on seeing no vissible change, I justt now swap and shoot.

A good result.

Cheers

Dave

Archived