Neck Turning Advice and Tools required

mildot

Hi guys

Being a complete numpty can someone give me the idiots basic guide to neck turning and what tools i would need please. Also will it be beneficial in a standard no turn saami chamber?

Also is it best to neck turn if using a bushing die or can using unfettled brass be almost as good or wasting time!

If you are running standard (non fitted) necks then turning may not be worthwhile as it requires about 100 quids worth of kit (at least)

Having said that, I have one rifle that has a standard neck - 25-06 Rem, it shoots tighter groups with brass that has had a partial (270 degree) neck clean up than non turned brass.

Whats involved;

lots of wrist action or screwing :blink:

with a cordless screwdriver. :lol:

The technique is simple, application is not.

Theres a knack to getting really smooth cut cases, take too much off you get problems, you also need to cut into the union of the neck and shoulder to avoid dohnuts.

Plenty of info on the www about turning, the pros and cons and what kit is best :blush:

I use or used to use K&M kit, its the best there is (IMHO), I now do it on the lathe, takes about an hour to turn 100 cases, where before it took about 4.

Fortunatley I have no turning to do, as its a fxxxing boring job.

If you have a sporting rifle and shoot at medium to closer ranges, you wont reap the rewards, if you stretch things and or shoot targets, then its the next step in the reloading path to enlightenment

Im preparing myself for the future! and trying to decide before the mrs goes to the usa as she can get the bits cheaper for me! lol

Romin

i can always give you several hundred cases you can on your lathe to keep you busy! lol

Archived