Moderator on a .308

rooster

How much difference is there in shooting a .308 moderated/unmoderated? My .308 is my first c/f and i am really enjoying it (range only for now) but it does lose sight picture on firing and is a bit jumpy. The FLO knocked me back for a mod when he did the visit but i have spoke to them again and they will let me stick in a variation for a mod now. Would you bother for target only?

Cheers

You lose sight picture with most firearms that are either unbraked not moderated. The exceptions being F Class and Bench rifles that weigh 20+ lbs and of course small calibres such as 6mm's and less.

For most range work you could get a moddy, I would opt personally for a brake, BUT your club may not allow brakes and it may make you unpopular with shooters on either side of you if you get one.

Sight picture would be retained with either mod or brake, if its desirable.

You could also fit a recoil reducer such as the filled mercury designs but they are arwkward to get hold of in the UK at present.

Mods can be worth it for range work, dont think bisley will let you use a brake anymore, but better check that. I have a cqb magnum on my 7mm remmag its excellent. I would personally use one for most range work for a simple reason, there is some suggestion that even with ear protection the shockwave produce by high velocity rifles can damage you hearing, this is obviously taken away by a can. There are lots to chose from, jetz's are excellent, I am having a brugger thonet for my 20cal of 20ppc which is supposed to be excellent as well. As far as plod is concerned even at the range applying for a moderator could still be considered an hse protocol, they should let you have one for that reason alone. At least they have buckled and will give you one. As for sight picture, I had one on a .223 you could watch the bullet strike through the scope due to the moderator. It tames my 7mm into something easy to shoot. Wouldnt have a rifle without one, simple as that. PES make excellent mods but arent producing any at the moment, jetz are also excellent.

ill second that about the jetz i have one on a .243 ai and you can spot hits with it, althought he rifle does weigh a bit as well which helps

There's a hell of a difference in my opinion. i have fired my Tikka T3, both with moderator on and off. I use a T8.

hi rooster ,

shoot a remmy 700 pss in 308 un moderated she has a bark and a bit of a bit but not as bad a some as the rifle is towards the heavyend with a heavy proile varmint barrel and 26" long use mine with a wild cat predator 12 which is a 12 baffle mod and the noise reduction is excallent and the recoil is minimal no jump when shooting prone off bipod and reguarly shot one handed resting on window ledge when lamping foxes on windy nights by myself just my few pennies worth but wouldnt be with out my mod

graham.

Hi Rooster,

I used to have a break on my 30.06, but i now have a Jet z. I find it allot more comfortable to shoot, its obviously quieter and has tamed it considerably, it still wont old on target due to the recoil but at least its still pointing in the same field now.

I am suprised F.L.O turned you down for a mod then changed there minds. £26 gone towards your Mod, i would aske them for a refund if i were you :) what grounds did they refuse.

Archived