Out Foxing with Dan

kip270

Well it's been a while since I have been out shooting, apart from recent ammo testing, due to being ill, but now on medication and back out at them.

Finished work at 9pm and headed home to get all the gear, and the Foxpro FX3, then off to pick Dan up.

I had decided to take the .270, and Dan would be the Shooter.

The Farmer has cut a few fields for bailing, so hopefully we would catch a few foxes out mousing.

The weather was mild and there was a NE wind blowing, this wasn't the best wind for this piece of ground, but we decided to try our best and move around so the wind would be in our favour.

We got to a piece of high ground and had a scan around with the lamp (Clulite Lazerlite with Red Filter) no sign of anything, then a quick flick with the lamp to our right and down the hill I spotted a glimpse of an eye, but not too sure what it was. Had a quick chat as to what we were going to do, I said that I wasn't sure if it was a fox or not as it a millisecond of a glimpse.

Dan said he wanted to check it out, and if it wasn't a fox we would just backtrack and have a calling session.

Well to our surprise as soon as got to a good vantage point I had a scan around and there were Four foxes in the same field. One was below us to our left while the other three were closer to the farm to our right.

Dan settled on a fence post to take the one to our left, but just as he squeezed off his shot the post moved and he missed, I told him to reload, and the other three just sat there looking at us.

Out came the Foxpro and set it on rabbit distress, on low, the three foxes sat there and looked, then one came in to see what was going on, but slightly downwind of us and made off before Dan could get into position for a shot. Another one headed up to see what was going on but this time we moved so we were downwind.

It came in and I stopped it about 30 yards, Dan dropped it on the spot and reloaded, the Foxpro was still on, and another fox was coming to see what was making all that noise.

It made it's way through the fence, and stopped at around 80 yards, that was it's mistake Dan bagging that one too.

[/size]

The other foxes had now decided enough was enough and were off, so I got over the fence to collect them.

These were very healthy cubs and a good weight also, I dragged them up to Dan, and we had a chat and congratulated him on some good shooting. Another scan around and there was another fox out in the field but at least 300 yards out, so back on with the Foxpro, and wait to see what happens. I kept the lamp on with the red filter but kept it the fox in the peripheral edge of the light.

Slowly it made it's way towards us, but stayed the other side of the fence, so not giving Dan a clear shot, the chance's of hitting a strand of wire were too great, so we waited, and after a good 10-15 mins finally Dan had chance of a shot, I shouted "Oi", it stopped and Dan dropped it at around 98 yards.

Dans first Triple on Fox

106_1905.jpg

Thats a memory he will cherish ,well done Dan , I hope it isnt to long before a chance of a few more for you, :mad:

Well done Kip, I still favour the lightorce to the clulight but each to their own ,

Keep at them all the best Andy ;)

Thats a memory he will cherish ,well done Dan , I hope it isnt to long before a chance of a few more for you, :D

Well done Kip, I still favour the lightorce to the clulight but each to their own ,

Keep at them all the best Andy :wacko:

I do like the lightforce, but just need to get a bigger battery to run it......................

Archived