What would you build?

lambsey

I have a 1in12 twist lothar 6mm barrel,thats been sitting on my shelf for a while, and looking for a new action

Thing is what calibre to chamber it too??? PPc,BR etc??? What bolt face, does it need to be??

The rifle will be used for stalking(roe,muntjac mainly), and with a sako action, if i can find one??

Any ideas??????

I would go with 6mmBR. You will struggle to find a ppc action and the fireforming is a pain in the arse.

The barrel limits you to using the lighter bullets though. From the research I have done you will get best accuracy from 80gr Bergers in a 1 in 12 twist barrel. However I am not sure what hunting bullets are made in that weight range. But is doesn't matter when head shooting deer :lol:

If your after a repeater in 6mmBR look out for a second hand .22-250 sako or older tikka. I am told that they are easier to get to feed from .22-250 mags. There is also a mag fix on 6mmbr.com for the remmingtons.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave

Shame the twist rate is a bit slow, in 6mmBR it should still be ideal for 70-80 gr bullets which would ideal fodder for the small deer you wish to shoot.

.308 bolt face will give you plenty of choice for donor actions, plenty of old .243/.308 rifles kicking about for not much money.

.243AI throated for lighter bullets as before, failing that try for a deal for a faster twist barrel , 1in8 or 9 and the bullet choice expands considerably.

Pete.

I would go with 6mmBR. You will struggle to find a ppc action and the fireforming is a pain in the arse.

The barrel limits you to using the lighter bullets though. From the research I have done you will get best accuracy from 80gr Bergers in a 1 in 12 twist barrel. However I am not sure what hunting bullets are made in that weight range. But is doesn't matter when head shooting deer :lol:

If your after a repeater in 6mmBR look out for a second hand .22-250 sako or older tikka. I am told that they are easier to get to feed from .22-250 mags. There is also a mag fix on 6mmbr.com for the remmingtons.

Hope this is of some help.

Dave

Thanks Dave, is it possible to alter the bolt face to accpt a ppc round??

Archived