st.hubert club

One of my friends is in the St. Hubert club. He loves it. They stalk at thetford forest and have to undergo in depth training. From what I understand you have to be nominated by a member for membership and then have to pass an interview with the club chairman. You then become a probationary member. Once you have passed the probationary period, you become an E grade stalker (i think) you then have regular stalks, where you are guided by an A grade stalker who runs the weekends that you are allocated to stalk. They will decide what you shoot and ensure that you are safe and only taking humane shots and not doing anything you shouldn't. Whilst progressing through the ranks up to A or B grade stalkers you will carry out DSC 2 stalks to fill your portfolio. I think it can take up to 5 years to get up to B grade stalker - which is when you are deemed competent to stalk unaccompanied. The training by the St. Huberts club is very well recognised by the forrestry commision. Also they have to reshoot their club licence once a year / season am notr sure which - to ensure they can still hit the mark. Fail the test and you have to wait until the next season before you can shoot any deer. I have been on one of their club shoots at Bisley, and I must admit I feel that their stalkers shoot should be what you are tested to for your level 1. Everything is shot at either 100 or 200 yards. The 100 yard shoot that I had a go at was all at a roe target, 2 shots prone with a bipod, 2 shots prone - no bipod, 2 shots sitting with sticks, 2 shots kneeling whith sticks and 2 shots standing. I hate to say it but the standard of shooting was very high with several of the members getting 100 out of 100.

As I say I'm not a member, but I gather this is roughly how it works.

Archived