walking varminter.

baldie

Here,s one i finished today. The chap wanted a "walking varminter" as the american,s call them.He wants it for fox,s and long range crows.

Its a lawton stainless action, fitted with a pacnor fluted barrel, at 24". All bead blasted and an invisible cap. He didn't like the look of a full picatinney rail, so asked for the middle milling off. The bolt handle and rail are duracoat black. Stock is a boyd,s thumbhole varmint, pillar, and fully devcon bedded, our floorplate, and 5 round magazine. Jewell trigger.

Calibre is 6mmbr.

pics not great........elwood. :D

cid_275F5905-0158-4497-A1E9-2754E37.jpg

Very attractive rifle indeed, nice work. Why 6mmBR for foxes and crows? I mean, the police won't certificate a 6mm calibre for varminting alone, will they, so why not one of the .22 cals such as 22-250, or a 20 cal...? My "walkaround varminter" is a Win Featherweight in 223 with a MacMillan stock...

I admire that stock, looks quite similar to that on the Remington 700VLSS thumbhole model. Where could I obtain the same stock and how much would it cost, with pillar bedding?

TonyH

Twist rate is a 1 in 9" Ian. I didn,t think the pic was bad for Roger,s box brownie.......... :(

Tony.

Our forces here will certificate for 6mm, with the correct boxes ticked :D but he has it down for fox and deer too, he said yesterday, when he picked it up.

You are correct about the remmy stock.This is a boyds laminate thumbhole, and they supply all the major manufacturer,s. Infact, if you see a laminate american stock, you can virtually guarantee, its a boyd,s. We have another shipment of stocks due, but they have unfortunatly discontinued this model.Its been replaced with a similar one, with forend vents however. If you ring the shop, Roger would be happy to give you some prices i,m sure.

Tony.

Our forces here will certificate for 6mm, with the correct boxes ticked :( but he has it down for fox and deer too, he said yesterday, when he picked it up.

You are correct about the remmy stock.This is a boyds laminate thumbhole, and they supply all the major manufacturer,s. Infact, if you see a laminate american stock, you can virtually guarantee, its a boyd,s. We have another shipment of stocks due, but they have unfortunatly discontinued this model.Its been replaced with a similar one, with forend vents however. If you ring the shop, Roger would be happy to give you some prices i,m sure.

OK, thanks. A "similar one, with forend vents" - ? Sounds exactly like the stock on the Rem 700VLSS thumbhole... I actually prefer it without the vents - which might be of use on a rifle (probably in a smaller calibre like .223) being used for rapid fire on a prairire-dog town, but which are only a cosmetic detail otherwise.

You're lucky about 6mm for varmints - must see if Devon & Cornwall have changed their policy on that.

Regards, TonyH

OK, thanks. A "similar one, with forend vents" - ? Sounds exactly like the stock on the Rem 700VLSS thumbhole... I actually prefer it without the vents - which might be of use on a rifle (probably in a smaller calibre like .223) being used for rapid fire on a prairire-dog town, but which are only a cosmetic detail otherwise.

You're lucky about 6mm for varmints - must see if Devon & Cornwall have changed their policy on that.

Regards, TonyH

they must have mate!

myself & many others have 6mms & 30cals on vermin:-)

Andy

Archived