The Glorius 12th, Postponed for one day.

The shooting of game birds on a sunday has always been prohibited, since the victorian game laws were instigated.

Well thats always been my understanding.

The Glorious 12th passed without incident in my area - partly because there was no shooting as it was a Sunday this year.

There have been organised shoots in my area today and again they passed as far as I am aware, without incident. However, if like last year, there was a strong anti presence for the first few weeks of the season, I expect next weekend to be "interesting"

Our department is involved in "interception" of likely vehicles used by these individuals and if one message could be passed countrywide its this:

Don't challenge them if they arrive on your shoot, put your guns away, get on the phone and call the Police, if you have a video camera in your party FILM THEM, they don't like that and it deterrs some of their more unpleasant activities.

DONT be Provoked....play their game against them and the LAW will be on your side and you will have video evidence to boot :D .

I was always under the impression that shooting game birds on a Sunday was one of these old archaic unwritten rules that most people abided by, did not know that it was actual legislation

Ian you are correct mate, there isnt any law stopping you shooting on a religious day, I say religious as xmas is the same whether it falls on a sunday or not! The only "game" and I use that term loosely that cannot be shot in Scotland is wildfowl. I think this is a spin of from the WEE KIRK in scotland a strong christian sect that prohibits its member from even working on a sunday as it is a day of rest! If my memory serves me correct I believe there are still areas in the western isles of Scotland where there are still practicing members!

Guest Black Dog

In Scotland John is right, not shooting game on Sundays is just a convention. In England and Wales however there is legislation making it illegal to shoot game on a Sunday or Christmas day.

Pete

Guest 308Panther
The Glorious 12th passed without incident in my area - partly because there was no shooting as it was a Sunday this year.

There have been organised shoots in my area today and again they passed as far as I am aware, without incident. However, if like last year, there was a strong anti presence for the first few weeks of the season, I expect next weekend to be "interesting"

Our department is involved in "interception" of likely vehicles used by these individuals and if one message could be passed countrywide its this:

Don't challenge them if they arrive on your shoot, put your guns away, get on the phone and call the Police, if you have a video camera in your party FILM THEM, they don't like that and it deterrs some of their more unpleasant activities.

DONT be Provoked....play their game against them and the LAW will be on your side and you will have video evidence to boot ;) .

Take it..."They" are or would be Anti's protesting against huntin?Or the lifting of the Deer Ban?

What's so special about "Glorious 12th" and what is it?

Just tryin to gain a better understanding of your laws.

308Panther

Guest steyrman2

well im just back from scotland spent a few days fly fishing on the spey and the dont fish or shoot on sundays had a great time over there got an invite over for 3 days fishing the party had taking 2 weeks fishing on it the had 32 fish the first week and 60 the second week and the river was out of order on the monday rain on saturday and early sunday i have never seen as many salmon or grilse moving up i had 4 salmon on the fly from 5 lb to 13 lb seen a few roe i got a inviteto stalk next month so thanks to ryan air flight booked 5.99 total 75 euros ;);)

Guest 308Panther

Ok...

Yeah I did the wikpedia search and come up with pretty much the same..

Just didnt edit the post after I learned.

They didnt mention the restraunts tho...

Be about the equivalent to our pheasant season in Wi.

Anbody that has a shot gun and Blaze orange just lines up at the public grounds where the birds are released.....Say what ya want about canned hunts...I never got shot at, at one....

Had to eat some worms a few times last year cause some dummy wasnt watchin his background.

Sure cussed a blue streak at the dummys and they should be very thankful I didnt give them some shot pellets back.

308Panther

Hello it's more a form of respect & it stop's some of the big estate's or they would have driven day's etc sold & give's the keeper a lazzy day some time's.Im sure the law was that of a ban on wild game on sunday's but i dont shoot game these day's any way i have grow soft with age.I will ferret pigeon shoot stalk roe shoot vermin etc on a sunday or sea fish but not game or wildfowel.Quite often sunday's i will be doing feeder's on my little shoot with brother.

In Scotland John is right, not shooting game on Sundays is just a convention. In England and Wales however there is legislation making it illegal to shoot game on a Sunday or Christmas day.

Pete

Ditto

Archived