Great Night Out

Vermincinerator

Guest northernchris

HOOT

Just had a wee look on the Vit site here

www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs/Rifle-Reloading-Data-2006.pdf

Max load for 69grn Matchking IS 41 grn of N160 in the .22-250

Wind your neck back in my man,as everybody knows ALL rifles are different. :rolleyes:

Max load for 69grn Matchking IS 41 grn of N160 in the .22-250

Like I said.

"Must be close to blowing up in your face. Rather you than me."

A max load as well as a compressed load. Margins of error are very slim.

As everybody knows mistakes happen, the hospital A&E deptments are full of people who said "it will never happen to me". :rolleyes:

Happy shooting.

So you're claiming that the use of a powder manufacturers max recommended load which in your case is also a compressed load, does not diminish the margin of error.

Fair enough

Vits previous loading data had their max load down as 40.7

Guest northernchris

Your reading must be crap go on the web site it clearly says 41.0 grns :rolleyes:

The Vit load is 1 and the same as i am running i.e compressed EXCEPT my brass runs 3-5 grns of water more in capacity than Remington brass.

Your reading must be crap go on the web site it clearly says 41.0 grns :rolleyes:

The Vit load is 1 and the same as i am running i.e compressed EXCEPT my brass runs 3-5 grns of water more in capacity than Remington brass.

Come on boys keep it civil. We are only concearned that you may not have has access to things like Quickload etc and are worried that you may injure yourself or worse.

Having larger capacity brass will make a difference, I found that with lapua v sako in the PPC and will lower pressures slightly yes but it is still a mighty hot load in my book but if you are happy with it which you are then fair enough.

A

Guest The Equaliser
I am running 41grn of N160 with isnt a run of the mill loading,plus i am running 78.75mm col on the stoney point comp.This load is around 101%-103% fill.

I like downloading mine but keeping just over the legal FPS and energy required by law for deer.

Lite on the shoulder, exceptional accuracy, save some money on using less powder and i continue to bring home the venison Oh and less ware on the barrel through reduced pressures, But hey I have only been stalking deer and homeloading for 40 years plus so what do I know about it :rolleyes:

Kind regards

Stu

I am running 41grn of N160 with isnt a run of the mill loading,plus i am running 78.75mm col on the stoney point comp.This load is around 101%-103% fill.

Something does not quite stack up here, 78.75mm COL is to long, the bullet is not in the case by about 10mm unless we are talking a different bullet, QL shows only one Sierra 69 grainer, a 69gr HPBT MK 1380. This looks like it might be a Match King, I am not familier with Sierra bullets.

To give a .20 seating depth the OAL with the above bullet is about 63mm, given your load of 41.0gr N160 the pressure generated is 58561 psi. A whole lot safer than using H380, not in the red section quite but at the top of the pink (not recommended).

QL are showing a case water capacity of 43.49 grains, I think you said you have another 2 grains of capacity in your cases, if so the 41gr N160 load would mean a 102% case fill, if this is right then pressures are only very slightly high at 52326 psi.

Just dont want you blowing yourself up.

A

Take the thickness of the stoney point off the measurment.

Forgive me for being silly but I dont quite understand what you are saying, what is the cartridge overall length?.

Geoff

But hey I have only been stalking deer and homeloading for 40 years plus so what do I know about it :rolleyes:

Stu

Naff all, according to our resident expert on this particular thread. :blink:

Still I'm firmly in your camp on this one. If you need to push it that hard, you really should be looking at other calibres.

Stay healthy.

Hoot

Guest northernchris

Hoot

I have nowt to gain by bullshitting people about the loads i run,how come you use a faceless name and have no details on show??? something to hide??? If you want a nice chat or even anything else just give me a call 01604 671387 but i bet you dont as you just sound like a keyboard warrior.

just out of interest what rifles do you own at the mo???? Do you load for them and use them or are you just a talker???

Stu

You have been stalking deer and reloading for 40 years??? I have only been stalking 20 years BUT shoot a yearly average of 80-100 head but that which promotes growth and vigour i dont know nowt either :rolleyes:

Out of respect for the site ownership and moderation team and consideration for the other site users I would rather not "talk on here"!

As I understand it. One of the sites PM functions is to reduce the potential disruption of the site itself by protracted and pointless single issue arguments.

But carry on, if you so wish, the floor is yours. :rolleyes:

I think what you have to look at here is that Chris's 69grn load works for him in his rifle.

Yes its a hot load, is it a dangerous load? NO, it is on the limit of the Vihtavouri data reccommended charge weight, therefore within CIP maximum pressure, which is slightly less then SAAMI pressure limits for this cartridge.

A Reloading manual would never list loads above the industry maximum pressure, not unless they want to be looking at some pretty hefty law suits from owners of destroyed firearms with half their face missing.

Now, if Chris decides to exceed the published data he does so of his own back, but that still may not necessarily be a dangerous process.

If the load has been worked up carefully, steps have been taken to recognise any signs of excess pressure, and the owner is happy that it is not, whats the problem?

In my opinion, high charge densities of slow burning powders is a much safer way of conducting your handloading then low charges of faster burning powder, its a bit difficult to over charge when the powder is at the bottom of the case neck!

Should we not be praising the shooters ability rather questioning the make-up of his loads??? :rolleyes:

Guest northernchris

Hoot

I have no problem with you but as i suspect you log on under 2 or 3 different names with that i cant be arsed,anyway end of talking with yourself whoever you are.

Ian

Halla-F++KIN-lou-ya someone talking sense!! :D better watch out that might catch on :rolleyes::blink:

Tootdal pip

Chris

P.S

HOOT "greasy pipe" you DONT know me do you Pete!!!

Guest The Equaliser
Hoot

Stu

You have been stalking deer and reloading for 40 years??? I have only been stalking 20 years BUT shoot a yearly average of 80-100 head but that which promotes growth and vigour i dont know nowt either :blink:

Well that makes two of us then Chris :D

:rolleyes:

I suppose !/2 Nowt is still Nowt at the end of the day

Archived