More hand die questions

Toby

Hi, am still on the fence as regards taking the plunge to hand dies, can anyone give a brief description of the necksizing,decapping process.Is it much slower than conventional sigle stage press operation?Also does one need to lube the necks before sizing?Is it worth paying the extra 60$ for the stainless micrometer set from Wilson/Sinclair? Regards Toby

I find the Wilson dies a joy to use. I lube the necks with a dry lube but they can be sized without. I use my single stage press for bump dies or full length resizing every so often.

Buy the dies and arbor press with confidence and follow the simple instructions supplied in the box.

I don't find them slow to load with as I didn't rush with the single stage press.

With my brass prepared I can still load 40+ rounds per hour without rushing.

I have the stainless micrometer dies for my .308 but for .223, 6mmBR and .243AI I have the standard steel ones and find no advantage with the stainless apart from the tarnishing that occurs from contact with your hands.

If you're having a rifle built get a Wilson die blank and have your builder ream it with the same reamer as he used to chamber your rifle,

When using dies off the shelf they sometimes have to be polished out a thou or so to accomodate you're fireformed cases.

Press and seater die easily transported to make adjustments when doing load development in the field or at the range.

I like them some don't.

Pete.

Hi, am still on the fence as regards taking the plunge to hand dies, can anyone give a brief description of the necksizing,decapping process.Is it much slower than conventional sigle stage press operation?Also does one need to lube the necks before sizing?Is it worth paying the extra 60$ for the stainless micrometer set from Wilson/Sinclair? Regards Toby

Here you go Toby, this may be of help;

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=1536&hl=

Bloody hell Kip, I wished you'd fished this thread out last night :lol:

If you need any info more info than that Toby you're buggered. :o

Pete.

I had a flash back this morning after my night shift........that's it for a while now my head hurts :o:lol:

Archived