Right bolt left port actions

Well after reaching over my scope to catch my brass whilst doing load development and then having a right 'mare trying to catch my brass out in the field its got me thinking. I am planning a new rifle, still saving at the moment. But I am putting a great deal of thought into this build. I don't want to lose expensive prepped brass out in the field or on the range.

Does the left port right bolt help? Magazine fed or single shot your views and experience appreciated. Also what actions are about in both types?

Dave

If you are mainly shooting off a bench then yes RBLP is usefull but think about what happens in the field or in a truck. You hold the rifle with your left hand, how are you going to work the bolt and catch the round?.

My solution is easy and cheap, simply have your builder remove the ejector from the bolt. Fired cases can then be fished out with the right hand (or left on a RBLP)and placed in a place of safety. That expensive and carefully prepped brass then does not get crappy or lost. I suppose it might be more awkward if you have big hands/fingers though. I have not lost a case in 6 years.

Rate of fire is fast enough, I have never needed more even when presented with 3 big cubs in a beam one night. I had all 3 in about a minute.

Thoughts on actions, a single shot action will be more accurate than a mag fed one as it twists less under fireing. If you are building primarily for accuracy then single shot is the way to go. There are a number of good actions around from BAT, Borden, Lawton, Stiller etc but I would have a look at these new English built Remmy footprint ones before deciding. I think Russ Gall was building them but I might be wrong. If I were building a new custom today I would probably go BAT. Nothing wrong with my Borden though but the internal finish on the Lawton is not in the same league but it does shoot well.

Weight is another consideration especially if you are planning to carry it far.

A

You could even have left port left eject with a right bolt, that way you cn catch the brass with your left hand instead of losing brass.

The load port / eject options usually only apply to high end actions like BAT / Barnard etc

I have a right port right bolt Barnard with no ejector - never lost a case.

My mate has a left port, right bolt, left eject Barnard, he hasnt lost a case either..

Removal of the ejector plunger is an good idea if it really bothers you.

You could always practice the extract "catch" technique, where the case flicks into your bolt hand...

Savage does a RBLP and I think they also have a right bolt, right port, left eject model now too. On my work computer so I can't get to the savage website. Plus with the savage, you can do a lot of the work yourself (barrel swaps, etc) and there are a lot of off the shelf options for stocks and other bits. Don't know what it would be to get a RBLP here as surely no UK dealers have one in stock. But if you are importing one anyway it might be worth it.

Thanks,

Rick

Guest dasherman

Have a think about what hapens if you pop a primer during load development and then ask yourself if you would rather be shooting a left or right port. With the barrel removed on any of the 2 lug actions if you look back down the inside of the action you will see that the easiest route for gas to escape is down a raceway and out of a port. Sure they put little gas escape holes in but it will go down the path of least resistance.

I still shoot my twin port Panda bench gun but not with a primer popping load.

Good point Neil

that sudden puff of smoke past your right ear and eye is not pleasant when you think of what might have been......

Thanks for the in put folks. I have had a case split on me on my tikka t3, it near on blinded me. Crappy PMC factory load was to blame. Not sure I understand how the RBLP would have made a difference should anything pop.

The removal of the ejector sounds like an interesting idea. Like I said I'm still mulling this one over. I know what I want, but in reality I want something that will get the most use.

Dave

Not sure I understand how the RBLP would have made a difference should anything pop.

As above, as a right handed/right eyed shooter I wouldn't want a dual or left port rifle. Instead of it 'safely' going past my right ear....with it all going into the left side of my face doesn't bear thinking about. Particularly a long way from civilization on my own in the fields. I would just remove the ejector or learn how to 'read it' so it doesn't actually eject at all.

Removing the ejector is by far the best option, finding a case or two in grass is no joke especially at night.

So, what sort of rifle did you have in mind, to shoot what and at what distances.

A

Well I was thinking either 6mmbr or 6.5x47 built on a custom action in a aics stock. This will be used as my varmint rifle and also I would like to try a bit of range stuff up at diggle.

I'm looking at shooting out to 600 yards max. So far my shooting has been up to 350 yards only on varmints and the zero trarget. I really like the sound of the 6mmbr but looks a bugger to get feeding in a repeater. Low recoil not much powder ect, just seems a great round.

I'm a yorkshireman, I have deep pockets with short arms. That lapau brass isn'r cheap and I manage to lose it all the time with my other rifles. Spent 20 minutes and got stung to death last week getting some back :D

Barnard S action is worthy of consideration - possibly most cost effective solution me thinks.

Caliber wise stay with the BR for up to 600 yards, I assume you want to see the impacts, load at around 28-30 grains and you should given a reasonable rifle weight. Bigger powder loads in the 6.5x47 wont kill any deader and you wont see the impact very often but if bigger deer and 1000 yard targets are possable then the 6.5 would be a better option.

I would not go for a mag feed though, it will cost you in the accuracy stakes.

A

It will in single shot guise - same footprint as the Rem 700.

Archived