Berger Hunting VLD

Has anybody used the Berger hunting VLD for deer in 30 cal, and what are your opinions ?

Thanks.

My stalking partner used to use them. they do leave a lot of damage. but they go far when hit.

just a bit to much for roe, i think he was using 185 vlds

ATB

Colin :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ive seen a roe shot with them. it certainly stopped it in its tracks. Not even a twitch. however there was alot of blood shot meat! (no different than with a cheap BT) mind you it was out of a 7mm Rem Mag.

Maybe OK for a heart lung shot, but I wouldn't trust them to expand quick enough

on a neck shot. I'm sure they expand a bit delayed, maybe after penetrating a neck.

The 155VLD's where very accurate in my 308, better than 155smk.

I rather trust a 30 cal sst or a-max.

I tried 155 palma SMK (which have a similar jacket) on fox. Won't do it again.

edi

Just wondering if there was such a thing as a dual purpose head for target and hunting, I know they are accurate, but if there's any doubt of expansion on Deer I'll stick with Nosler's. The Berger website raves about them, but maybe there's too much penetration on our smaller species or with neck shots as ejg223 suggests.

Thanks for the replies Guys,

PV.

PV, I think the speed and size of animal is an issue also.

300 win mag will be different to 308.

I have a 308 and just think at say 2600-2700fps the

bullet might not expand as well as another when one for example just scrapes the spine on

a neck shot. The a-max or SST will possibly shed a bit more energy in those 3-4" of flesh on

a sika. Or maybe a small roe heart shot.

At speeds over say 3000fps all is different, bullets expand more and energy is shed quicker.

Might even be too violent.

I quite like the way a SST or a-max at slower 308 speeds work on sika and fallow, mostly

heart lung and a few neck shot.

maybe you've seen this pic before of a few bullets cut open.

The SMK is the older palma version.

edi

30calcut.jpg

Ive moved away from standard bullets for deer.

I'll quantify this if I can:

I shoot quite a few roe and reds each year in varied surroundings, this may be deciduous woodland, large open fields with minimal cover and traditional sitka forest blocks - be that in scotland and nearer to home.

I have 4 calibres I use for deer, 22-250AI, 25-06, 6.5x284 and 7mm WSM

All push bullets hard and fast.

Over the years I find that like most centerfire rifles (despite what some will have you think) all bullets have detrimental affect on any animal.

Ive also determined that no calibre causes more or less damage than any other - and ive shot deer with 22-250 to 7mm magnums including the "venerable" 270.

There isnt a standard or regulation sized deer, like humans they come in all shapes and sizes some animals are tougher (hardier / more muscular) than others, some are not.

A couple of observations (this is my own obs)

If the deer are aware of your presence - you get more damage to the wound area - possibly due to increased heart rate prior to the shot / increased adrenaline flow causing a dead deer to run a while after the fatal shot - obviously the contraction of the muscles will continue to pump what blood is left around the body and into out of the wound area causing "damage and tainting"

Deer who are shot whilst calm, tend to just drop on the spot - again, my own obs.

Your experiences may not reflect my own here.

I try and use the most accurate bullet I can find - through extensive accuracy testing in my rifles.

Be that whatever brand suits best - providing they are suitable and legal for deer control.

I rarely if ever choose Nosler (Boat tail or partition) they give (in my rifles) poor accuracy.

Speer hot core work very well - I use the 100g in my 25-06, controlled expansion and pass through on roe leaving usually one inch exit hole.

Barnes TSX work very well in the 7mm, 6.5x284 and 22-250AI.

Never had a deer run more than a few yards with these.

Yep they are expensive, but spending a quid on a bullet for a 40 quid return (roe) and more for reds makes sense to me..

Bergers - I have used 140g Bergers on deer and know of others who also use them, now they are classed as expanding :rolleyes: and they work, just like any other bullet.

My point is this; use whatever bullet you are comfortable with for your application, most if not all will kill deer humanely, providing you do your part.

Shot placement above all, is the most important part of the game.

Over the years I find that like most centerfire rifles (despite what some will have you think) all bullets have detrimental affect on any animal.

Ive also determined that no calibre causes more or less damage than any other - and ive shot deer with 22-250 to 7mm magnums including the "venerable" 270.

There isnt a standard or regulation sized deer, like humans they come in all shapes and sizes some animals are tougher (hardier / more muscular) than others, some are not.

A couple of observations (this is my own obs)

If the deer are aware of your presence - you get more damage to the wound area - possibly due to increased heart rate prior to the shot / increased adrenaline flow causing a dead deer to run a while after the fatal shot - obviously the contraction of the muscles will continue to pump what blood is left around the body and into out of the wound area causing "damage and tainting"

Deer who are shot whilst calm, tend to just drop on the spot - again, my own obs.

Your experiences may not reflect my own here.

I try and use the most accurate bullet I can find - through extensive accuracy testing in my rifles.

Be that whatever brand suits best - providing they are suitable and legal for deer control.

I tried to use the quote thing but I think that I have done it wrong! I just wanted to say that this is the most sensible thing that I have read on the internet for a long time. I get frustrated when you constantly hear people going on about this bullet/calibre is good and this one is rubbish then you find out that they only shoot 10 or 20 deer a year! Good post Ronin. JC

Archived