LEVEL ONE

Guest Sprags

Guest Sprags

A friend of mine has been told he cannot have his FAC opened up on his .243 until he has completed his level 1, so my question is this.

Where can he do it? How much is it? and is it difficult?

I know, I know, thats three questions :D

I did mine with David Stretton down at donnington deer management i have a figure of between £300-£400 in my head but I'm not sure for the 4 day course. It was easier than i thought it would be i personally thought the safety test was the hardest because you could fail if you were over safe (apparently). The shooting test is very easy and the written is easy although i still cant fully remember all of the season start and end dates :D .

Sean.

A friend of mine has been told he cannot have his FAC opened up on his .243 until he has completed his level 1, so my question is this.

Where can he do it? How much is it? and is it difficult?

I know, I know, thats three questions :D

If he's a member of the BASC i would get in touch with them, having a DSC Level 1 will not make anyone a safer shot so the POLICE making a stance is rubbish.

I done mine in 2005 with Ronnie Rose and it was a cracking weekend.

Personally I think it is a load of money making ###### now.

He would be much better getting the manual and learning that (since that's all they test you on....).

Then if he can go out for free with someone who is experienced he will learn A LOT more than the course.

I often take people out (for free) that have done the course, but don't have a bloody clue what to do once they have shot it. A bit of paper is only so good, being taught in the field holds a lot more weight in my opinion.

Get him to get in touch with BASC....Insist on the mentoring as an alternative - they simply want to cover their behinds with a scapegoat!

There is no legal requirement for L1 as a pre requisit to opening a ticket up. I also did mine with Mr Rose maybe 5 or 6 years ago, learnt a lot and I have been shooting all my life.

A

Sprags, I hear quite a few people knocking the DMQ system and DSC1 courses but nine times out of ten those people have never done it so are only basing thier opinion on heresay. On the tenth occaision you usually find out that the person has done a two day, fast track type course, usually with an independant training provider that no-one has heard of, where they don't actually teach anything just coach you through the tests. The person is happy to do this just to get the certificate but then goes on to spend the rest of their life telling everyone how they never learnt anything on the DSC1 course!! I don't recall ever having met anyone, both novices and experienced stalkers, who have done a 'proper' DSC1 course and didn't find it interesting and useful. If people think that the cost (about £280 if I recall correctly) is too high then I suggest that look at courses of a similar duration in other fields, I think they would be pleasantly supprised. To sumarise, I would never suggest argeeing to be 'mentored', you are as good as saying that you need your hand holding, if the Police don't think that you are suitable and safe to hold and use a firearm then they should revoke your FAC. If your friend wants (and has the time and energy to) pick a fight with his local Police then, as a couple of other people have said, he should challenge the FEO's decision. Realistically I suggest that he goes and books a DSC1 course with the BDS or BASC and if he comes away having not learnt anything then I will send him a free pack of venison sausages as compensation for my poor advice! JC

what a load of bull ..whats the differance if its open or closed to shoot a deer ? the deer aint going to know ..the only differance in having an open ticket is you can shoot on ground thats not been passed ? dsc1 will not change a thing apart from you having a bit of paper to say you have sat in a class and gave up loads of money ..dont mean your a better shot or you are more safe to shoot a rifle ..the police have no rights to make him do this ,, if no joy wait the 3 years they have to give it you then ..

Ah! I assumed this was at a renewal not within the first 2 or 3 years.

L1 has safety tests and shooting tests within it, if I were the FEO I would sleep better at night knowing that the guy whose ticket my force had opened had been independantly checked as a safe and competant shot. Better that than someone dead. Still cant legally make him do it but there is no right to get an open ticket so soon.

A

sprags how long as your mate had his ticket ??

Did mine with Dave stretton as well. quit some time ago now. and yes i thought it was expensive, but i needed it so it had to be done,and I'm glad i did it. when you take in to account that you pay for the course and you all so lose 3 days pay,(i live near him so did not have to pay for over night stay.but when you tot it all up its a fair whack. But some times you just have to

Dave did feed us venison every day, and i have not tasted it better since.

Dave runs a top rate course, and comes of the highest recommendation.mine :););)

ATB

Colin :lol:

Archived