20 cal 40 grain bullets

6ppc

When i have renewed my Fac i will be collecting a 20Tac that i had decided to build before i had my temporary insanity of thinking i should give up shooting ^_^ .Anyway it has a 1:11 twist to shoot the 40 grain weight bullets,i intended to go with 39 grain blitzkings but have now heard that they can sometimes give poor performance on fox?,what do others use? Nosler Ballistic tip,V-max etc?

Im sure i would get excellent results with 40 grain Bergers but i would prefer something with a better b.c,they could be an option for purely foxing though.

Cheers Tim,i have some waiting to collect with the rifle to try for myself anyway but just thought i would check it out.I see also that some of the americans are getting bullet blow ups and no penetration on groundhogs too.Going to start off with the Blitzking and V-max and work from there to find an accurate load and then see how they perform in the field.

Almost without exception the US sites advise that the 39gr BK performs more accuratly than the 40gr Vmax. Effectiveness on target should be pretty close I would think.

When I tried to get some 39gr BKs from Norman Clark a few weeks ago he advised that he would not be having them untill November time, I had some 40s instead, weights are remarkably consistant for Hornady, all within .2gr, most within .1gr.

A

i ran a couple of batches last summer and autumn of the 39 blitzkings, right enough they did shoot very well but i will never use them again, i had alot of surface blow ups on full middle chest shots, never had a fox run with them but they were very much alive when i went to pick them up.

all i have tried in the tac 20 has shot well, nosler,hornady and blitz king, i am about to try some varmint bergers in the next load.

off all at the moment the 40 gn v max are the ones, exceptional killing and accuracy, had some nice long shots with them aswell, good for confidence.

Sako sounds like you had the same problem as my mate with the Blitzkings,i wonder if they were a dodgy batch. Looks like the v-max will be the bullet of choice if accuracy is there.Did you find that the blitzkings and the v-max were close to their advertised b.c? some say the blitzkings are nowhere near.

Sako sounds like you had the same problem as my mate with the Blitzkings,i wonder if they were a dodgy batch. Looks like the v-max will be the bullet of choice if accuracy is there.Did you find that the blitzkings and the v-max were close to their advertised b.c? some say the blitzkings are nowhere near.

Hi Martin,

I have been shooting a 20 caliber for the last 4 years and in that time I must have shot close to 500 foxes with 39gr Blitzkings with no problems at all. As far as I can tell the advertised BCs are pretty close, when used in conjunction with Quick load they are spot on out to 600yards. In terms of accuracy the Blitzkings have outperformed everythng esle (regularly shootiing in the .1s) closely followed by the 40gr Noslers. The VMaxs were never much good in my rifle.

Regards,

Nick.

I do like the 65gr Vmax in my 6mm but so far in the 20BR the 40s have generally failed to shine. In fairness I do have a 1 in 9 so it is expecting a lot. One load only in N150 and one in H322 show promise, just looking for a crow grenade as the Berger varmint 50gr just drills them. I like my crows and maggies in pieces if possable. The Berger varmint 50s do kill foxes well, they just drop on the spot without a twitch but I did shoot one late last week at just over 200 yards that did not expand on a lengthways body shot. Killed it clean yes but no big exit wound.

A

I've tried three types of bullet in my Tac 20 - Nosler 40, Sierra 39 and Hornady 40. On new cases for some reason the Nosler worked best. On once fired brass the Nosler and Sierra are equally good, shooting less than .25 on a 1-12 twist.

In terms of performance on foxes the Nosler performs extremely well, I've shot plenty of foxes with this bullet, no problem at all, and I’m just about to try out the Sierras to see how they compare.

Thanks for the replies all,it is good to hear your experiences.Sako i was refering to just a rough gide of the b.c by comparing it against your ballistic chart and not the proper way involving a couple of chronos and more.

Archived