Cant get it into my head!

Just being board and messing around on youtube, i have come across alot of bow hunting deer mainly, and cant get in into my head why it seems to be an acceptable practice.

I know afew of the guys on here are from the US and dont want to offend if you are bowhunters, but i cannot see the pleasure in shooting a deer with a bow and then tryin to track it down, the amount which are never found must be heartbreaking

Another thing i have to comment on is some of the shots being taken, i wouldnt even dare attempt to take with the rifle at the angles which these guys seem to be shooting at.

Is it just the way we have been braught up and taught in britain to make our shots as humane as possible, or am i just missing somthing here?????

When we were children, we played as children....

When we grew up (Well a few of us had to), some of us still wanted to kill things with pointy sticks....

About the same number as run off from badly placed shots and the use of poorly constructed or inappropriate (sp?) bullets l should have thought mate.......

On another note and not to ditract in any way form your post. What makes me smile is the use of heavy magnum loads and lots of choke to blast poor Turkeys at near point blank range. As John Wayne put it... Too Much Gun!!

Each to their own.....

Guest varmartin

You are missing something .....Its what we as hunters did before there were guns.....and this age old art of bow hunting was banned in this country....

If it were not banned, then I feel alot of us would be doing it still ....

Aw shucks William, have you gone all gooey on us? :excl:

When we were kids running round with Airsporters or anything we could lay our hands on, I'll bet most of us never gave a thought to all the rats, rabbits and small birds we injured because we aimed dead on for everything and often connected in the wrong place at ridiculous ranges for the weapon we were using.

In the roe stalking syndicate I used to be a member of in Scotland we had two Dutch guys who used to bring a tracking dog with them. They shot a lot more roe than we did but weren't overly fussy where they shot the beast as they both used 9mm rifles with a single post reticule that they also used to shoot boar, and part of the enjoyment for them was the hunt with the dog after taking mostly offhand shots.

How many of us can honestly put our hands on our hearts and say that every rabbit we've had a pot at in the rush to have a clear up before the ploughs hit the field the next morning have not killed every one cleanly and gone back to make sure.

Heart/lung shots on deer don't always drop the beast on the spot but it doesn't stop us taking them.

You'd have to applaud a bow shooters stalking skills to get close enough to make an accurate telling shot with a weapon you can't really poke through a small gap to get a shot away.

Most hunters in the natural world ( lions, fox etec.) wound before making a kill and in days gone by man hunted in much the same way by dint of the fact they just didn't have sufficient firepower in the slings, bows,spears etc. to make a one shot kill. In the States they still hunt deer with handguns, which also needs good stalking skills to get within range. Lucky buggers are still allowed handguns whether they hunt or not. :wub:

If bow hunting were legal in the UK I'd dearly to love to develop the skills so obviously needed to be successful in this purest form of hunting.

Then again perhaps I'm a bit sad as I probably spend to much time in the woods watching deer instead of just flattening them and getting onto the next. :excl:

We all have our own standards as to what we consider humane and we can make our own choices. I just wish we had the same number of choices as they seem to have over the water.

Pete.

I am not detracting from the obvious skill involved to get that close to a deer, it hard enough to stalk to 100 yards form one let alone the ranges these fellas use their bows,

I agree it was the way it was done before the invent of rifles, however in those days it was hunt or die of starvation, no one can say they have to hunt to survive these days

I have been braught up to ensure a quick and humane death to anything which i place the crosshairs/bead over, obviously this isnt always the case but i would say 99% of the time when i do connect that the animal has encountered next to no pain in the action i have taken and falls on the spot, an i am not a happy chappy if it differs from that scenario (hence my rant over v-max bullets on another thread). Most if not all the clips iv seen of even seemingly well placed shots, the deer bolts into the wood.

I have no links with bow hunting at all apart from what i have seen on the net, as far as i know i have no relatives in the US or friend who reside there, so all i am implyin is my own personal opinion, i not saying the sport should be banned or anything, as im sure there are thousands of people who enjoy doing it and do it well, there are probably things i do such as puntgunnig which some of you may not agree with.

308Panther, you obviously participate in the sport and therefor know aot more about it than me, and truky hunting is one thing i would like to try in my life! Maybe i should of kept my thoughts to myself :wub:

It could also be something to do with bow hunters having an extended season and an extra allowance to shoot ;) Anyway I cant think of many places that I would want to be that well camoflaged in the US, it is the norm to wear high viz during a lot of shooting cos of all the other 'excited' shooters out there.

I used to think the same until I looked into it more. Bow hunting is pretty humane I think.

Firstly have you seen the power of these bows? That arrow is going at some sort of speed and is (depending on the type of head) pretty sharp too. Have you ever cut yourself with a sharp knife? It doesn't even hurt until you see the wound! I recon these arrows will pass right through without them really knowing what's hit them. They then bleed and pass out. Bit like a rifle but at closer range.

I'd love to develop a skill like that if it was allowed. I can get that close to a Deer easily enough in the right conditions. The feeling of taking it that close with a bow must be amazing! I usually let them go when I see them like that with the rifle as it feels too unsporting (and none of my shooting is done to a cull quota).

Thanks for that 308panther, kinda opened my eyes alittle, theres alot of stuff they you just told me that i was unaware off.

Its not that i am against it, maybe i came across that way in my original post, its probably more that i just dont understand it??

Its mainly the idea of tracking a wounded deer that i dont like the idea off, anyone seeing a deer run off which they know for sure they hit is heartbreaking, fortuatly in my limited experience of deer stalking (5/6 years) iv only lost one deer which was a mutjack which stubled into a huge thicket of brambles, and i have only ever had one deer move more that 2 steps before keeling over, the rest, ranging from munties to reds hav dropped on the spot they were standing.

I know deer can be wounded with a rifle as easily as a bow, but even a badly placed shot with a bullet creates enough wound trauma kill the animal, or atleast give enough time for a back up shot, wereas a bow would be a through and through??? Maybe not, i wont go any further into it as i dont want to start a disucussion which may make me sound abit daft (probably abit late for that)

I'll just have to head over to the US and see how its really done one day, however untill then i'll stick to my stalking and wildfowling, definitly some turkey, prarie dog and waterfowlin may need to be experienced somtime in the future!

Thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions!

(and pete, i aint goin MUSHY!!!!!!) ;)

And a brain shot at that.... So much for some folks saying the 7x57's too small for the task, now there was that chap called Bell :)

Anyone got any Jack Brittingham DVD's??!!

Esp' the one where he faces off the Grizzly at about 15yrds over a kill, then folllows it up in the thick stuff and sorts the job. The guide looked a bit pale and he was the one holding the .375HnH ;)

As Panther said a lots got to do with skill and gyle, and a lot of blloody practice... Given the chance l would give it a crack.

Come to think about it some ten years ago l got an invite from a friend in north east Wisconsin to join him out in the woods, but l read that in the two counties next door to him they lost about a dozen hunters that rifle season and a few more ended up in the hospital, so l backed up a bit and passed on the chance. Bow hunting sounds like a reasonable pastime under those conditions.....

Panther.

Yes that would be the incident i think, wasn't it some Hmong boy that went bush and when the rangers caught up with him it all got pulled out of shape a bit??. My frinds are somewhere up close to the canuck border (Eastern side of the state, will ask the Ratwife), but they're what you lot call "Snow Geese" and blolt for Tuscon Arizona each winter.

Panther.

l never admit to being "LOST" just a bit "CONFUSED" for a mile or two mate :D

l must admit l love a lot of wild country, l'd sooner crawl on my nose through ten miles of Scotland then drive an inch through Linconshire....

You've got a lot of lovely game there mate, and a few ferals too.... Got to love them Canadians :P espesially the one that think they're French.....

C'mon, who's to another measly 6,000 or so :lol:

And that's only the deer taken...... Of cause you the "Tag" system for the Federal ground where you are and l believe that "Landowner" areas are also controled to some extent, where as we have what is still mainly a "Fudal" way of management for private land and "Lease" for Gov't and other blocks. l often debate which is better with a few friends... oh the sleepless late night rants that can cause....

Geeze do you have the same system as in Texas where all deer have to be eaten by the end of the season and cant be kept in the freezer even? If so there must have been some people who were mighty sick of venison!

The Ratwife did once say "Can we have a week where you don't try to make me eat bambi at least three times...."

lt's cheep, tastes great and l get the joy of going out to get it, so what's the problem :lol:

Hmm.... management by commity.... bloody marvelous

• 1 month later...

Well having recently received some new dvd additions to my Hunting collection i ordered some from Primo's, amongst them are several on Bow Hunting, and the Bucks that have been taken with the BOW have dropped quicker than a majority that they have taken with the rifle!!!!!!!!

Now this has surprised me indeed, and the Bow used under the right conditions certainly is very lethal.

Archived