Dogs for Deer

The serious looking one on the left is my tracking dog, a four year old German Shepherd.

PICT0005-1.jpg

This is my viszler bitch thay are cracking sent dogs... SORRY having trouble with my jpeg sizer hope to sort it soon..cheers

lol Ian WHAT are you tracing with him. Mighty fine looking beasts, though i would not want to be the one on the recieving end.

Hi Jan

She's a fully trained Schutzhund http://www.schutzhund-training.com/ and is trained to track bad people :blush: Which in turn has made it harder for me to train her to track blood trails, as she was following my scent and not the blood.

I purchased a pair of scent shoes and she has made really good progress, I'm now training her to find the initial strike and mark it by sitting down, a bit like the drug and bomb dogs do when they locate.

I have had to ad-lib her training as we have gone along which is a good test for my ability in being able to understand and read the dog. I guess I'm training myself as well as the dog.

She's not one to get on the wrong side of, she attacked the lawn mower this afternoon!

Nice solid looking Lab Pete.

Sorry Ian Mine only points them when they are live, never tried her on a blood trail but knowing her she would get distracted!

Training a dog is always a learning experience IMHO cos just like humans they are all different and have different focus/motivation for work and reward. But that is what makes them so much fun and so rewarding. Also whilst they may not have been bred for that specific purpose it doesnt mean that they cant be trained to do it, just makes the training a bit more challenging. I have know great gundogs that were every thing from staffies to collies, just happened to have owners who were up for a challenge.

I use my springer at the moment which does really well considering it was nver taught on deer, but she learns very quickly and has only passed 1 deer that I remember. If the deer runs on I put her onto the trail, if it drops, I go downwind for practice and let her find it for me. I have just got a springador and am hoping to teach her on blood trails and if I am lucky use a leather thong :wub: to show me she has found something.

J

If anyone can explain to me how to upload a picture, I will show you my last dog and my new one. JC

JC, I was hoping that you might join in this thread as I know it's your business

To upload a photo you need to join photo bucket, upload your photo onto the photo bucket site and then click on and copy the IMG tab (bottom one of four) and then just paste it in here.

Failing that email me the photo's and I will host them for you.

JC, I was hoping that you might join in this thread as I know it's your business

To upload a photo you need to join photo bucket, upload your photo onto the photo bucket site and then click on and copy the IMG tab (bottom one of four) and then just paste it in here.

Failing that email me the photo's and I will host them for you.

Thanks for the reply lads thought more of you deer stalkers would have had a trained dog to track a wounded or lost deer tho.....

I use my lab and he has taken to it naturaly with no real dificulties in training.

P1010035.jpg

He earned his feed on the deer in the picture.

Dave

grate to see you and your dog work together. I also have a black lab but have sadly retired him. but am now stalking with my wire heard viszler bitch always trust your dog .....cheers Neil

I am using my black lab, she is 4 now. I have saved blood from the last four deer (into a water bottle with salt added) and have laid blood trails for her, using a 15ft salmon rod and a blood soaked rag. This keeps my scent away from the blood trail. It's taking a little time but we are getting there.

She followed a fallow pricket that ran on after being shot this morning. My mate dave shot it with his .308, perfect heart/lung but it ran over 100yds downhill into some really thick scrub. I do not think we would have found it without her.

I have not had the pleasure of seeing a real deer dog in action. I keep reading about Teckels and Vizlas but do not know what else people use. Bloodhounds i suppose?

ft

I am using my black lab, she is 4 now. I have saved blood from the last four deer (into a water bottle with salt added) and have laid blood trails for her, using a 15ft salmon rod and a blood soaked rag. This keeps my scent away from the blood trail. It's taking a little time but we are getting there.

She followed a fallow pricket that ran on after being shot this morning. My mate dave shot it with his .308, perfect heart/lung but it ran over 100yds downhill into some really thick scrub. I do not think we would have found it without her.

I have not had the pleasure of seeing a real deer dog in action. I keep reading about Teckels and Vizlas but do not know what else people use. Bloodhounds i suppose?

ft

Good man keep on with your lab it will do you proud and it will all come together.keep letting the dog find them take it down wind and walk in to the deer. your dog will sent it and find the deer for you i use a vizler she is a real gem on sent she will air sent a deer that you may not have seen in cover or in the tree line ....

Here's my lab fern in action, she has just had a litter of seven most of which have gone to working homes, ive kept one my self and look forward to bringing on the next generation. Hope she follows in her mothers paw prints...

Photobucket- Fern

Nell

damm fine bit of foootage,was it set up for the dog or did you shoot the deer and just happen to have a video camera with you ??

she looks a powerfull bitch to drag that carcass,did you train her yourself ?? iam alwasy looking for tips for my young bitch

Thanks for your comment Berger, yes i trained her myself and quite proud of her,no that was not a set up it was a doe and two kids that was the last to be shot so was obviously fired up and ran off after a perfect heart shot, i did'nt need the dog as i saw where it fell ,but it always nice to see her work, film was taken on my mobile.

Good luck with your bitch, im sure she will do you proud, good looker

Nell

Hi

i started to train mine my self but I'm off tomorrow to drop him (GSP) of with a pro to bring him on a bit.

He is having a 2 week trill to see if he will make a decent dog.(and will stay on if he makes the grade)

I believe i have nothing to bother about as he takes quit well to most things.

His training is held back with me being laid up with my leg and if all goes to plan then i will be needing him for a very soon to start big cull.

ATB

Colin

Archived