170 lamp problem

I have one very lucky little charlie here.

He is a big cub and in the same field next to my house where I have now accounted for 6 in the last month. Located him with the lamp, switched it off while I got prone and set up, he is 100 yards or so, switch on the lamp and nothing at all. Time I had been and got another lamp he had long gone. Cant believe it, of all the times to fail.

Anyway, battery was recharged Wednesday and is good, tried the lamp in a landrover cigar lighter socket and it does not work. Checked the bulb, not burnt out but tried another one anyway but no joy. Wires where they go into the lamp are potted and look fine. I think its the inline switch thats the issue, I was toying with just chopping it off and joining the wires but I do need a switch in there.

Am I on the right lines, if so who does a better quality switch, I simply cannot abide gear that lets me down. Switch will need to handle 8 amp continous at least and 15 amp would be better. Cant recall that Durite do one and houshold switches for table lamps will only be 3 amp or so.

A

Don't know what switch you have already Al, but I use the inline dimmer from Deben. They're not cheap but work for me. I believe Opticswarehouse do one cheaper but it's only rated for 50w bulb (doesn't say on site, does on the flippin pack!).

Don't know what switch you have already Al, but I use the inline dimmer from Deben. They're not cheap but work for me. I believe Opticswarehouse do one cheaper but it's only rated for 50w bulb (doesn't say on site, does on the flippin pack!).

Switch is the standard sealed rocker switch it came with.

A

ive had loads of them go and i cant seem to find an after market one any better

try giving deben a ring

Had the same problem with the rocker switch, as already mentionee went with a dimmer switch in the end, works fine but does have a humming noise when the dimmer is turned down low.

Same with mine, I fiddle around with it until I find a happy medium between light level and lack of humming :D Only notice it on the calm nights really.

Well I cut the switch out and wired the lamp direct, worked fine so the switch it is. Ordered a non dimming one from Target Sports as my local gunshop seems closed for hols. My old eyes need plenty of light !!

A

Archived