Gamebird protection

foxhunter

The phone rang last night " Can you get down the shoot, a fox has got in pen and killed 100 poults "

Shoot captain wasnt happy . So me and Ratcherman had a look down with my .243.

100 poults at £3.50 each no wonder he wasnt happy :lol:

27jly09002.jpg

We got set up near the pen overlooking a bit of open ground in front of a wheat field at around 9.15pm.

After calling for about 5 mins or so Ratcherman spotted a fox to my left.

I quickly shuffled round and located the fox immediately and duly dispatched it off my sticks at around 50 yds. :D

Hope its the culprit !!!!!

27jly09003.jpg

bloody foxes, i heard a rumour on the gamekeeper grape vine today that a big shoot in norfolk/suffolk had a fox on their rearing feild and got in to a hut of partridges killing 581

nice going ...a keeper i know has had the same problem ,mind you its his own fault he should of done his work two weeks before putting down his game birds ,i offered my services meny times ..but my offer fell on def ears ..im now up there trying to shoot foxs ,thats if i ever come to see them,as its in a 126 acer very thick wood full of birds ,so theres really no need for them foxs to come out ..done three nights so far and only seen badgers,,up there tonight if the rain holds off may be the night i get lucky :lol:

ALL keepers should know that all pens need a good electric fence all round and the wire dug into the soil about a foot and bent outwards another foot to prevent digging under the wire. Multistrand electric fences are best with single strands leading off the corners away from the pen as a back up measure.

How did it get in and out ?, does it have a hole inside the pen?.

Hard to tell but it does not look like much more than a cub, did you have a look at its teeth?. I suspect the culprit is mum or dad not this one.

Near me a group of lads made good have decided to set up a pheasant shoot. They have stunning ground, very steep hills but no woods much. On their boundry is a big wood owned by the local hunt, its like watership down for foxes down there. I was asked to go and trim a few rabbits up, only a few though, and an odd magpie will be ok but no crows and definatly no foxes as we like to see them about. I have explained that they can have pheasants and an odd fox yes but not anywhere near the volume they have.

I expect tears before bedtime any day now. Couple of them have HMRs so you might guess what might happen.

A

Nice going MARK and GARY, you just saved that man a shed load of money,

They had a fox in one of the sheds on the Turkey farm the weekend and did over 50 Turkeys they recon that retail on these premium birds would have been £95 each ,just under £5000 ,

Thats why these people need to start relising what we are exactly doing for them ,

Glad to see Your Still having loads of fun

ATB Andy

seen nothing again :( mind you i never lamped ,just stayed till i could see no longer down the scope ..maybe next time ;) electric fence is the only way to go most foxs can sence a electric fence from a few feet away through there feet ,better on a damp day mind :D a keeper that knows his stuff will have hangs down most of the year ,and best to put them down on hedges that are far away from the wood catch them coming into the ground ..as the old saying goes ..kill a fox and two will come to its Funeral.. in other words you take one off the ground and more will takes its place..which is so true .iv only shot 3 foxs in the last 10 days i see more foxs about come august time ,mind you im then full bore lamping most nights ..

rob' never heard this term before

any chance of translating for me please

"a keeper that knows his stuff will have hangs down most of the year"

If the guy is a professional then maybe, most take them up once shooting starts, dont want to be catching gundogs. Are you saying that there is no electric fence around this pen ??. Cant see a pro keeper not having one though.

I have 8 pens and (touch wood) have never had a fox in one yet. In my sydicate shoot the fence around the pen closest to the farm buildings is connected to the mains !!. Anything getting a belt from that knows about it.

A

This is a small DIY shoot with no keeper . I am not a member just do the fox control.

Apparently what happened was when the birds were put in the pen one shoot member switched off the electric fence thinking he was switching it on .

Costly mistake as the fox wiped out the whole pen .

I think they will have the sense to double check next time !!!!!!!

Well there is still time to replace them anyway. Perhaps get the errent member to test the fence next time by piddling on it!!. You can actually buy small testers now from farmers merchants. Some of those little fencers dont make much of a noise so it can be difficult, personally I like the Gallahers they make a click and flash a red light each time the fire the circuit.

Keep at it, there are sure to be others.

A

I think they are lucky and are able to replace the birds but its still £350 wasted.

I will be looking out for more foxes buts its difficult as the whole farm is planted with wheat and wont be cut for quite some time yet !!!

Down here they have started on rape and barley, oats are about a week away and wheat maybe 2 weeks given some sun. All the weather boys are saying rain every day in varying quantities for at least teh next 2 weeks. Looks like another wet harvest.

I see a couple of cheap Gallahers are for sale here in classifieds.

A

A good way to test an electric fence is to get

a blade of grass (or other green vegatation)

hold it between finger and thumb and touch

it onto the wire,you will feel the electric pulse

as a slight tingle!.

It works!.

Dave

A good way to test an electric fence is to get

a blade of grass (or other green vegatation)

hold it between finger and thumb and touch

it onto the wire,you will feel the electric pulse

as a slight tingle!.

It works!.

Dave

Or a bit of wood, a spade is also pretty good, just let it arc on the metal, you are holding the wooden handle (make sure it is one with a wooden handle!!) and feel nothing.

Try the grass one on a mains powered charger and you will get one hell of a belt.

A

Archived