Two Way Radios

I need to buy some new Two Way Radios for the shoot that I keeper this season, can anyone recommend what is good

and/or what is bad?

I don't want cheap, but would rather pay more to get kit that will last.

Any experiences or recommendations?

We (that is the shoot I assist to beat on) use Cobra two way radio's - there are eight or so units - they work pretty well but are sometimes compromised by terrain. The shoot covers about three sq miles from boundry to boundry.

These need keeping dry....

I have also used Motorolla units and Uniden in other places - the Motorolla's work pretty well, they have earpiece fitment and are weather resistant - not sure of price sorry - I use Motorolla at work for other application, they would be my own choice.

Sorry cannot provide model numbers, most of the kit I speak about will be superceded by newer design I would think.

Weather resistance, transmission clarity, noise "beep" (enable to cancel) battery life and effective range would be factors I would consider before buying - cost would be higher obviously for better quality units...

The specs will be determined by the terrain and distances you're dealing with. 1/4W units like my small Motorolas are OK for open ground up to say 2 miles but you really need a good couple of watts for any heavy cover &/or greater distances.

Chris-NZ

Guest varmartin

I was in Florida last August ....Wallmart sell some awesome goodies....

Could not leave without picking up a pair of Midland GXT756 in Mossy Oak for $80

They have a high ( 5watts )and a low setting to save battery life.....

Says 26 mile range ,.....but 2 miles in the woods or around towns is doable....

Note .....I only use them when i go to the US or the Moon ..... :wacko:

Motorola will take a lot of abuse.

I used mobile in van sets for over 20 years, two of the original sets were still going when we sold out last year. I also run 10 hand helds for driven pheasant days, not had a failure in 4 years. Good gear.

A

Tikka,

I have used portable radios for many years on construction/petrochemical/treatment sites and Motorola radios have always given by far the best performance even in very difficult circumstances. They aren't cheap, of course, but are waterproof and dustproof with rubberised coatings for protection. Based on my experience, if I needed two-way radios, I wouldn't consider any other make.

Peter

If you want the best forget the rest - MOTOROLA

I bought a set of yellow Motorolas a few years back from the states. It said 15 miles on the speck sheet so I tried them out. Leaving the wife one i went out in the car. Around the town they were perfect. so i headed out into the country. After heading through thick forest terrain and 8 miles i got board. At that point they worked like she was stood outside the landy. Since then they have rattled about in the back of the landy and are all battered and bruised, however they still work flawlessly.

Highly recommend Motorola. If budget allows get a set of Motorola GP340. This is the radio we use in the oil industry worldwide and they withstand anything we or the drill crews throw at them. I once had an operator drop one in a tank or Brine. The unit continued to work! When you think brine will seize up an adjustable spanner in a few hours that’s not bad. Range with this radio is over 5 miles without boosters.

Check the link out below for a quote. They seem to have it all.

Click here

There are a few companys in aberdeen that hire units to oil companys. I know they are changing to the knew units so might be worth a call. You might just pick up a second hand set cheap.

Hope this is of use.

Ads

Found the company we lease off of. They almost deffinetly will have ex-rental units for sale inc all the add ons (chargers,Puches, hand held mics etc etc...). They also sell brand knew motorola units.

Click here

Ads

Archived