Gun Cabinets Build Spec?

Guest Tiff

I've just picked up a big (10+ gun size) thick 5-7mm metal cabinet for £20. However the problem is, it's a home made style unit and not a 'regular' one.

Unfortunately it has a full length piano style EXTERNAL hinge down one side and only one central gun cabinet lock :D

However reading through the HO guidelines it seems that all that's required, is for the firearms to be securely stored....So if I was to add a couple of heavy duty top spec padlocks to its top/bottom and bolt it to the floor (under a fixed metal desk in a small lockerd room) against a wall/corner would that pass? So then even if the hinge was ground off and padlocks cut, it wouldn't be possible to prise it open.

Or do I have to fork out another £200-£250+ to get a similar size 'approved' unit that is made of thinner steel?

Simple answer is get your local FEO to come and assess it.

As I recall the locks have to be cat 5 and the hinges anti jemmy, plus rawlbolted to the wall.

I have my FEO stuff still, but it will possibly be out dated now..

If you really want I will dig it out and look.

Ronin that would be excellent if you could please :(

I've got nothing against my local FEO, he seems a nice bloke. It's just that when I had a pneumatic air rifle in the cabinet, he thought it was an O/U shotgun...............

So a definitive written spec to work against would be great :)

My FLO made me scrap my old cabinet because it had an external hinge like yours and only one internal lock. He told me it all needs to be internal with double locks. Thats up my way right enough. Might be different outside of gods country :(:)

Ads

Ok Tiff

had a few spare moments to peruse my copy of the guidelines:

Cabinet Security / Construction.

Any cabinet manufactured to BS7558 1992

or

Cabinet constructed to following :

Steel sheet body not less than 2mm - formed by folding or continuous welding

When fabricated the door case should be constructed to provide a continuous rest plate the length of the opening to prevent insertion of hacksaw blades to attack lock bolts.

The door frame should be constructed by return folding o bar / angle frame welded to carcass - The door when closed should be made so it resists attack to force it inwards.

Door hung on:

Internal hinges

Hinges externally fitted, with eithe hinge bolts, anti bar plates or interlocking formed door edge along hanging edge of door.

Swivel bars or rods with return fold anti bar plate Frame should be constructed so far as possible to prevent the insertion of tools.

At least two pins of 12mm dia or full width welded steel foot plate not less than door thickness - for slot type doors.

Secured by

Locks to BS3621 or 7 lever with not less than 38mm x9mm cross section steel bolt.

Locks above should be mounted in brackets or pockets providing extra strength.

Padlocks not less than grade 4 - closed shackle.

Hinged full length doors for rifle / shotgun should be fitted with two locking devices fitted at points to divide the locking edge into equal parts.

For what its worth, we were advised not to pass home made cabinets with piano hinges becuase the would fail the anti jemmy criterion..if of course there was no protection to the hinge.

My copy of these regs may now be out of date, however, I hope this helps.

Thank you ever so much for that Ronin. I will get some welding done to 'protect' the hinge and add an extra lock, so it should pass fine.

To be honest I doubt it will even get checked, since it will be secured in a part of the house that is only accessible thought a 6 foot long 4'X4' crawl space that is in solid bedrock. Which is the remnants of getting bored one summer holiday and wandering what it would be like to be a Cornish miner.........I fell somewhat short of my 100ft internal range target :wub::excl:

I'd challenge the lads to get my main one open with a screwdriver. Built from an ATM machine with 25mm thick walls and a 40mm solid front door which weighs 200kgs alone. Gotta be at least a ton all up. I had a cavity built into the den while we were building the house so you only need to look at the front of it. "Still ugly" my wife says.. ^_^

The retracting slide mechanism on which the electronic tray once rode was moved down near the bottom with enough room left for a drawer which holds bolts/mags/etc. I built a three-row gantry for the rifles so it's got about the max gun capacity the volume allows, but you can still get at them without too much trouble. An ex-clubmate is a locksmith so I had him simplify the opening procedure, else it'd take 2mins and a lot of concentration to do it with the two tumblers which are normally 4 numbers each

Chris-NZ

Archived