20-250 Case Forming

17 Rem

Well, tonight I formed what I believe to be the UK's first 20-250 cases, using Redding dies with .236" then .231" nitride bushings.

Used new WW brass, as advised by Small Caliber News guru Todd Kindler.

No split necks or other problems to date.

Would you anneal them now or not?

I,ve never formed cases to that extent, but having worked with brass and copper for over 15 years, i would have annealed them first, but it looks like you have got away with it, forming wise. Myself, i would still anneal them now, and give them a fighting chance upon first firing?

Keep us posted on the new calibre buddy, it sound mighty interesting.

baldie,

after I posted, I E mailed a guy from the Go Go Varmint Go board who has a 20-250.

He replied that he doesn't anneal as he gets loose primer pockets before he sees any split necks, so in the intersts of labour saving, I'm going to fire the first few without annealing and will anneal the surviving cases if I have any fail.

That said, I'll listen to any other advice.

17 Rem.

As far as l've found out, the brass should have been annealed at the factory when the cases were first formed. But as Baldie says having to bush them down twice they may get a little hard, so you may only get 1-3 firings before you see a change in the neck tension.

Regards.

Ratwhiskers.

• 2 weeks later...

You can anneal them with a candle. Just hold the neck in the flame while watching a watch . Hold case by base and drop on a cloth when this part becomes too hot to hold.

I used this method when forming cases for my 7mm Rem from Winchester .300 Win. brass. When you push the shoulder back that part becomes the neck - I was getting uneven spring back when turning the necks to clean up at twelve and one half thousands of an inch. The difference in hardness from top to bottom of the neck ment more springback of the harder bottom portion and the result was a thinner neck at that point. This annealing cured that and the necks were even after the final turn.

Glenn

Archived