.300 win mag with heavy bullets

I've just been reading through a heap of googled info on the .300WM. I was trying to look up information regarding loading long heavy bullets and found this. Have a read and let me know what you think. I must have just been very lucky!...

Of course, if the magazine is not used and rounds are single loaded into the chamber the restrictive overall cartridge length of 3.340" can be ignored. Anyway, best. accuracy with any .30 caliber cartridge is achieved by seating the bullet out to where the full diameter shank is just short of touching the bore's lands.

Mike Harris, Nosler's Director of Customer Satisfaction, came up with the best fix for this problem. But, its only doable with a Winchester Model 70 rifle. The Model 70 was designed in 1936 as a long action. For use with shorter cartridges, like the .30-06 and its cousins, the rear of the box magazine was blocked and a different bolt stop was used since the longer bolt travel wasn't necessary. Simply replace the .300 Win. Magnum box magazine and cartridge follower with the longer .300 Weatherby version, alter the bolt stop to allow for another 1/4" travel, and voila!--the bullet can now be seated out more than enough to position the full diameter shank well within the stubby case neck.

...Sounds good to me?

No link?

I have a mate who used to shoot a Winnie with 220grainers - shot single hole groups at 100mtrs

Ok, I know its not a 300 win mag, but I have a 300 ultra mag and can get 1/4" 3 shot groups with 200gr lapua bullets at 100yds when I do my bit!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a load for you to try then. The usual disclaimers apply to handloads so be careful.

210gr Berger VLD head

70gr N160

Fed GM215M primer

seat the head 1-15 thou off the lands.

This should get you a MV of approximately 2850fps depending on your rifle

I have been seating mine 5-10 thou off but I have just been told by a friend who shoots for the british team and uses the same load that 15 thou is where its at.

I'll be adjusting my seating depth next time load up a batch for the range.

Mark

Having shot the .300 win mag for years I can confirm that seating depth is critical to accuracy (as with most calibres). I now never seat bullets so far out that they are touching the lands even if that does give the best accuracy as it is such a pain in the bum when a bullet sticks in the throat and spills powder everywhere. 10-15 thou off is usually fine. I also never load any cartridges that are too long to fit in the magazine, this might be ok for a pure, slow fire target rifle but if you intend to use it for stalking then don't resrict yourself to single shots or different rnds in the mag. I am a great believer in loading a calibre with the optimum bullet weight and if you want to use a much heavier or lighter bullet then do it through a different rifle! For the .300, I believe 165grn is optimum, if I felt the need to use 220grn bullets or heavier for whatever reason then I would look at the .338 win or lapua mags. Looking at your other thread about down loading I can only urge you to keep things simple. If I were starting out with the .300 again I would stick to a medium velocity 165 grn load using R22 or some other readily available powder, work up a a reasonably accurate load then get out and shoot the rifle in the field for a year or two. I know several people who spend hours in the loading room or on the range and probably only shoot 10-20 deer a year. Another point worth noteing is, if you use a public range, you will not win too many friends if you are firing dozens of rnds through a un-moderated .300, ###### to them you could say but i'm afraid thats the way it is now. JC

I've ordered 178 grain A-Max bullets, so not too heavy. I'm planning on loading them in front of RL22 as it's a good powder for the 6.5x55 too and I've just got rid of my last bit of RL19 that I was using for that.

Too bad! I was looking forard to your 220 grain report. I don't shoot them in a 300WM but I do have a 308 Norma Magnum and my favorite 220 chucker, a 1898 30-40 Krag-Jorgensen. I know that you have velocity requirements but if you want to see some unbelievable killing, see what that lowly Krag will so with a 220 grain Hornady SP at 1950 fps. It will drop elk and moose in their tracks at 100 yards. ~Andrew

Archived