some 6mmBr questions

Hi guys

Im thinking of making my 243Ai a switch barrel to 6mmBr for some long range soft shooting fun(my ai is 1-12twist so not suited for the heavys)!

First question is whts a good length tube for the 6mmBr cart?

secondly the whole point of this is so i can see my hits as with the unmodded 308 its a little tricky to see ur hit/miss unless u have a spoter so with a 6mm br & a mod is this likely(105g bullets)?

rifle will be a sendro profile in a mcmillan A5

thirdly are you guys with 1-8twist barrels getting good acuracy with the lighter stuff too ie 58g Vmax

& last but not least barrel makers

Id like a shilen again as mine is fantastic but from a cost & time point of view whts the best bet!

cheers Andy

My 6BR runs a Pacnor 1in8 twist and is outstanding with 69gr Bergers and 70gr Nosler BT's but in the wind 105gr A-max are my first choice. Not personally tried lighter than 69gr in 6mm but many others have great success with lightweights in 1in8, you just have to be happy to allow them to jump as most 1in8's are usually chambered for the heavier bullets so chasing the lands usally has your bullets hanging out of the necks.

Unless you're especially fond of case prepping, ask for a no neckturn chamber, load some new Lapua brass and go enjoy the rifle without a lot of fuss.

Pete.

Hi Andy,

Mine has a 1-9 twist with a 24-inch barrel and absolutely loves 80g bergers, they bug-hole at 100-yards consistently. I have tried 58g Vmax's which shoot 1/4 moa. For deer 100g speer do the trick with good groups.

You won't be disappointed with a BR, easy on powder, minimal recoil and you can see the shot land. I don't do much beyond 300 yards with mine but should the need arise I'm confident it would perform.

Cheers

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this thread and thought id better put in my 2ps worth,

My 6BR is stitting on a 1-8, 24" wather lothar match barrle with 105 a-maxs spotting shots at 1000 yards is just too much fun, best group being a 4 shot at 0.13 inch :P, (cant do that very often tho!)

Lightest iv shot out of it is the 62gr Varmint grenades and 60gr sierra HP's, which bugholed too!! Put a mod on it and it feels like shooting an airgun!

Alot less recoil than a 243,

Advanatges over a 243, uses less powder, less recoil, can fire the same wieght bullets, better results when using a mod (less hot gas to contain), barrle life is better, and last but not least it is an unbelieveably accurate cartridge.

Archived