7-270wsm dies

mildot

Im forward planning my next barrel job and would like a 7mm wsm but based on the 270wsm brass due to its longer neck than the 7wsm. However where would i get the dies from?

Im forward planning my next barrel job and would like a 7mm wsm but based on the 270wsm brass due to its longer neck than the 7wsm. However where would i get the dies from?

take my advice mate,dont bother going for the 300/7mm wsm or the 270/7mmwsm

Ive been there its a nightmare I was glad when the barrel wore out nd I went to straight 7mm wsm,forget all this rubbish about the neck length,

aslo make sure who ever put the tube on uses the right reamer for the bulletweight you are going to use as most std reamers are very long throated to use long heavy bulletsmseeing these are a short action getting the bullet up to the lands mean they wont fir into the mag

I fopund this to my cost having a reamer sent which was totallty wrong which i asked for and then the smith scrapped the barrel (but thats another story)

i eventuall got the correct reamer and Steve Kershaw correctly fitted it,now the rilfe is singing and no messing about necking brass 3 times necksing turning and then getting brass movement back into the neck causing me to neck turn again

I have a reamer if you need one

take my advice mate,dont bother going for the 300/7mm wsm or the 270/7mmwsm

Ive been there its a nightmare I was glad when the barrel wore out nd I went to straight 7mm wsm,forget all this rubbish about the neck length,

aslo make sure who ever put the tube on uses the right reamer for the bulletweight you are going to use as most std reamers are very long throated to use long heavy bulletsmseeing these are a short action getting the bullet up to the lands mean they wont fir into the mag

I fopund this to my cost having a reamer sent which was totallty wrong which i asked for and then the smith scrapped the barrel (but thats another story)

i eventuall got the correct reamer and Steve Kershaw correctly fitted it,now the rilfe is singing and no messing about necking brass 3 times necksing turning and then getting brass movement back into the neck causing me to neck turn again

I have a reamer if you need one

Cheers for the advice. I have a few question if you will...

What brass are you using?

How many reloads do you get from it?

Where did you get it from? As the only stuff i have found is winnie brass.

Cheers for the advice. I have a few question if you will...

What brass are you using?

How many reloads do you get from it?

Where did you get it from? As the only stuff i have found is winnie brass.

I use win brass,yes we all know is poor quality but when prepared correctly its a good as any other and cheaper

I do the usual preping

run through a FL did to shape them up

removed case mouth burs inside and out

cut primer pocket

internal flash hole de bur

light neck turn to uniform the neck thickness

trim to length

I dont weigh the brass as iam not shooting paper,Iam on my second firing of this batch of brass and its fine,I will anneal for the 3rd firing

I also reload for a mates 270 wsm using winchester brass,no problems at all

I use win brass,yes we all know is poor quality but when prepared correctly its a good as any other and cheaper

I do the usual preping

run through a FL did to shape them up

removed case mouth burs inside and out

cut primer pocket

internal flash hole de bur

light neck turn to uniform the neck thickness

trim to length

I dont weigh the brass as iam not shooting paper,Iam on my second firing of this batch of brass and its fine,I will anneal for the 3rd firing

I also reload for a mates 270 wsm using winchester brass,no problems at all

Im using winnie for my 270wsm at the mo but only chamfered the necks and deburred the flash wholes. Havent got the tools for neck turning! But if n when i go to 7wsm i will take more care of the brass.

Im using winnie for my 270wsm at the mo but only chamfered the necks and deburred the flash wholes. Havent got the tools for neck turning! But if n when i go to 7wsm i will take more care of the brass.

remember the three Ps

P preparation prevents

P piss poor

P performance

LOL

Aggreed

you do not "need" the extra 36 thou extra length of the 270 / 300 WSM neck length that is afforded with these cases over the 7mm WSM, however what you do gain by using these variants is better quality brass.

The winchester 7mm brass is scarce, poor quality and you end up binning 30% (or I have) when sorting it into similar lots.

You just don't get this if you use Norma (270 / 300 WSM)

You dont have to anneal after three firings either with Norma.

You do pay 60% extra for Norma though...

If you are building a rifle for deer, then use 7mm WSM.

If you are building a rifle for competition - I would advise you used the 270 / 300 variants and have your chosen gunsmith use a reamer throated for 160 - 180 g bullets.

You can have a 7mm WSM that feeds reliably from SHORT action mags with 180g bergers.

(I know, ive built one and it shoots very well)

If you were to use 160g accubonds or similar weight bullets the same reamer would need to be used in order not to exceed 2.900" OAL (the cut off for feeding in a S/A repeater)

Personally I would spec a 312" neck diameter for either - I like fitted necks.

You need to decide what the rifle is going to be used for before you spec it - game(multi shot) , target (single shot)

No matter what you decide, it will be an expensive beast to feed (powder, barrels, time in prep and brass if you decide Norma etc)

To answer the original question, dies are the easy part:

Redding s bushing die in eithe 270 or 300 WSM with appropriate sized bushing.

Forster BR seater die in 7mm WSM.

(works for me anyway)

looks like i will either stick with a 270wsm or a standard 7wsm. I like the 270wsm but i also liked my 7mm hmmmmmm decisions decisions!

Thanks for the advice and i think i need to sit and weigh up the pros n cons!

Isn't the Norma 300 WSM brass cheaper than the 270WSM ?

Winchester brass is very scarce as Ronin says, I had a real hard time finding any, Norman Clark doesn't or didn't stock them, Reloading solutions had a shipment coming in that never arrived! I ended up getting the last 200 cases from Trent Firearms. If you find any buy it all, you will need it.

The quality of the brass is pretty bad, the weights vary significantly, this wouldn't be a problem for MOA of deer but if you're seeking accuracy then full case prep is needed.

Oh and fully loaded it's about £1 a bang.

Archived