Another varminting trip to wales!!!!!

varminter

Well had another kind invite to Wales again from Dave to do some varminting!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::P:P

I arrived at Daves by 4 00 in the afternoon and Dave kindly had made us some tea that was most welcome after the 4 hour journey!!!! ;):D

After a good chin wag it was off for our varminting trip with the video camera in tow ( thanks Captin ;) ) to the cliffs!!!!!!

There was plenty of bunnies to keep us busy in the fields by the cliffs and the scenery is just fantastic!!!! :D

Dave was using the 20 Tac and the 6mm Hot!! , i had the 6PPC!!!!!

We had some fantastic shooting and some nice footage too!!!!

Then was yesterday when we meet up with Andy for some lunch ( thanks Captin again ;) ) then off to another beautiful place by the cliffs for some more varminting and filming!!!!

To say that we had a fantastic time is a understatement , we managed some great footage and got some crackin shots too!!!

This is just a taster and theres more to follow!!! ;)

Just want to say i cant thank Dave and Andy enough for there generocity and for putting up with me!!!! ;):D

All the best.......................

RAY..........................

Sounds like you had fun,so you managed to keep away from the sheep then?

Thanks Martyn!!!! ;);)

I have been good boy this year and promised not to do any more sheep worrying!!!! :rolleyes::P:P

All the best....................

RAY.............................................

What a difference a good woman makes. Good on you for kicking the habbit Ray i bet sheep shaggers anon is missing you :rolleyes: . Any pics of the trip?

Thanks Martyn!!!!

Yes got some pictures and shall be doing another writeup soon with them!!!

All the best...............

RAY.......................

Nice to see you back with us Martyn.

Rays behaving himself this year after one of the farmers said they shoot anything they find worrying their sheep.

The trip is going well but the weather is a bit hot to shoot in the daytime.

I'm sure Ray will get the pictures up soon.

Cheers

Dave

Nice one Ray, pleased it all went well.

That 6mm hot sounds interesting, I assume its a 6x47 basically, be interested in how it shoots and if shots can be seen etc.

A

Cheers Dave,its good to be back.I would also love to hear how you are getting on with your 6mm Hot too,have been thinking of building one for a while.I look forward to seeing the pics and footage,get your lazy ass in gear Ray and get them posted.

Well it was great to meet up with you again there buddy,

I think yesterday was one of those days you seem to get only a couple of times in a lifetime, with regards shooting !!!

We had a blast (excuse the pun) and we had a non stop afternoon of filming and boy didnt we get some 1st class footage .

I would to tell all they guys what we got on film but I think we will have to leave it till the dvd comes out, all I can say its something I dont think any of you guys have seen , I know I hadnt,

Anyway Captain , I think we have plans for a night on the charlies weather permitting and thanks for sharing a great day with me yesterday.

Oh ye and I had a phone call from Taybarns today,asking who was the greedy B******D who left all those plates on that table :D:lol::lol::lol:

see you in a dat or two, ;)

Andy

That 6mm hot sounds interesting, I assume its a 6x47 basically, be interested in how it shoots and if shots can be seen etc.

A

Cheers Dave,its good to be back.I would also love to hear how you are getting on with your 6mm Hot too,have been thinking of building one for a while.I look forward to seeing the pics and footage,get your lazy ass in gear Ray and get them posted.

The 6mmHot is basically a no neck turn version of the 6x47 Lapua, its name came from an American Richard Whitely who did a lot of developement with the cartridge.

It runs a .272 neck and mine is throated for 105-108 bullets a version can also be had to allow you to use the 115 DTAC which has a longer throat.

Mine runs a 105 Berger or A max @ 3000fps out of a 28" barrel, I have got her up to 3150+ but the acccuracy wasn't there.

I have got on well with Vit N160 but would like to try Reloader 17 if I could get any.

I have used this cartridge through out filming with Andy and it has prooved exceptional. It has also been very competitve at club level F class matches, the first time out with her I managed a score of 150 ex 150 with 27 V bulls in a 300/500/600 match.

In the field with a T8 fitted not only is it extremely quiet but you can see your impacts fine and by dam when a 105 A max touches down you get one hell of an impact on what it hits.

See here for plenty of info.

http://www.6mmhot.com/

Cheers

Dave

Cheers for the info Dave,it is nice to hear some real world experience with it from this side of the pond.Just before i took a break from shooting the 6.5x47 had only just came out so there was not much first hand experience of the necked down version.

How do you think it compares on rabbits etc with your 6.5x47(if i remember correctly you have or had one?) and the 6br? Seems like pretty much the perfect long range uk varmint round with vld bullets.

You've got a good memory Martyn, my 6.5x47 I use as a stalking rifle and have no real experience on rabbits with it. Although down with Ray last year when sighting it in for a stalking trip I did detonate a crow which landed in the field.

The 6x47 over the BR difficult to call both are superb, the 6x47 does have a 2-300 fps advantage though.

It does make a superb varmint cartridge and have used it a lot, Neil built it for me in February and I already have 525 rounds through it :D

Cheers

Dave

Nice one Ray!!!

Can,t wait to see the footage????

And the pics,,,

All the best Darrel ;);)

Thanks Darrel ,

I have seen the footage and its looking great so far!!!!! ;)

Cant wait to see it either when its all put together!!!!

All the best......................

A

Thanks Geoff ,

Having a great time thanks!!!!! ;)

The 6x47 with the 105 A-maxs is a very nice tool too!!!!!

All the best...................

Thanks Martyn ,

Okay okay i shall get some pictures sorted soon!!!!! ;):D

All the best......

Well it was great to meet up with you again there buddy,

I think yesterday was one of those days you seem to get only a couple of times in a lifetime, with regards shooting !!!

We had a blast (excuse the pun) and we had a non stop afternoon of filming and boy didnt we get some 1st class footage .

I would to tell all they guys what we got on film but I think we will have to leave it till the dvd comes out, all I can say its something I dont think any of you guys have seen , I know I hadnt,

Anyway Captain , I think we have plans for a night on the charlies weather permitting and thanks for sharing a great day with me yesterday.

Oh ye and I had a phone call from Taybarns today,asking who was the greedy B******D who left all those plates on that table :D:lol:;):lol:

see you in a dat or two, ;)

Andy

Hey Captin ,

Was great to see you again!!!!! ;);)

And yes it was a fantastic afternoon / evening of varminting!!!! ;);)

Thanks for the treat and your good company!!!! ;):D

Hopefully see you soon.......

All the best.....

Glad ur havin fun with the lads from wales ray & looking forward to your write up & pics of said days adventures :lol:

let us know when ur up for another rd trip :lol:

cheers Andy

Thanks Andy ,

Hope you have got some more varmints under that Parker Hale belt and you are having fun too!!! ;):D

Speak to you soon......

All the best...................

As always guys ,

Thankyou for your kind replies!!!! ;):D

RAY....................

Hi guys thanks for the replies!!!!! :huh::lol:

As promised here are some of the photos of the varminting holiday :lol: .....

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

And some from our trip with the Captin director Andy...... :lol:;)

013.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

Cant thank Dave enough for having me stay and taking us out :lol: and Andy for his kindness too!!! :lol:

And not forgetting " ROLL THE CAMERAS " :rolleyes::mellow:

RAY...................

Great pics Ray,looks like a fantastic place to shoot.You really have beaten your addiction havent you,not one sheep in any of the pics :rolleyes: Come on then spill the beans,what was the Tally of vermin and what sort of ranges?

Thanks again for the extra info Dave,you must really like the rifle to have gotten through that many rounds. I do have a good memory for things i am interested in,totally shite for names or remembering any jobs the wife asks me to do :rolleyes: So when is this dvd going to be out?

Great pics Ray,looks like a fantastic place to shoot.You really have beaten your addiction havent you,not one sheep in any of the pics :rolleyes: Come on then spill the beans,what was the Tally of vermin and what sort of ranges?

Thanks Martyn ,

I was going to be cruel and say " wait till the video comes out " but i could not do that to you boys!!! :mellow::huh::lol:

We had some cracking shots like bunnies at 373 / 389 / 338 / 373yds / a crow at 392yds / 2 Foxes at 220 and 354yds!!!!!

Had quite a few bunnies between 200 - 250yds too!!!!

A fantastic time was had by all , unless your a bunnie that is!!!!!! :lol::lol:

RAY........

Thanks again for the extra info Dave,you must really like the rifle to have gotten through that many rounds. I do have a good memory for things i am interested in,totally shite for names or remembering any jobs the wife asks me to do :rolleyes: So when is this dvd going to be out?

Hi Martyn, yes Andy and I have been busy trying to produce a DVD we now have plenty of footage but need more of foxes.

Once we have this, hopefully in the next week or so on the next silage cut we will be good to go. Not looking forward to the hours of picking clips and then piecing them together. Probably it will be later on in the year once we find somone to produce it.

Cheers

Dave

Well Captain you caught me looking to the heavens for inspiration :rolleyes:

Theres some cracking pics there Ray, I have been so lucky like your self to have the oppotunity to shoot somewhere so dramatic and many thanks to Dave for that, :mellow:

Anyhow Captain thanks for filming the shot of me getting the Charlie ,

Will see you 2moro there guys for part 2,

cheers Andy :huh:

Archived