5k to spend on 4x4

Scotch_egg

my 1995 disco is shot, she needs far to much work to pass mot.

Please please help, I need suggestions on the best 4x4 that will be used for shooting duties and gettting me the 50 mile round trip to work on a daily basis without breaking the bank and killing me for mt bi-annual trip to the hebrides.

cheers folks in advance

Dave

oh yeah forgot to mention this is my project spends out the window. I am gutted.

my mate had a disco now has a 07 shogun 2.5 td.........its far better even with road tyres than the disco.......i kid you not.....we have been in places and driven out we are both certain the disco would not have............downside....miss the disco mirrors (according to my mate) and the lightforce lamp on roof is not high enough..........besides that..its a CRACKER

now thinking of selling my td5 landy swb defender hard top

air con

winch

uprated suspension

optima batteries

130000 on clock

full mot

hannibal roof rack

cb

traction control

loads more

i would like about £6500

Good news is that you can get a lot more for your money these days than a year ago. As Berger said the toyota hilux double cab is a good choice,if you take a few mates with you on a regular basis and travel more than a short distance though they may find it a little cramped in the back.

You could always buy another disco,there are plenty of TD5 bargains knocking around,fair enough they may not be as refined on road as some of the jap stuff but they are a great workhorse too.

Why not spend some of your money on getting the disco done up? You may be a posh car type bloke for all I know and this may not be a good idea to you, but if you forget the resale value and have it rebuilt by a pro on a galvanised chassis that should cost you about £3500 to £4000. You'll never get your money back if you sell it but if you keep it then it will out last anything you can buy for £5k

It's a lot of money to do up an old banger, but it will be good for another 20 years once it's done. I'm going to do my Defender next winter probably.

Thanks for the input so far chaps. Berger you have a pm re the toyota's.

I am not a posh car type bloke by any means, but sufice to say my disco is not quite in the same league as a defender of similar age!!! If she were a defender i am almost certain the galvfanised chasis would be on the cards. But with what I have got I don't think its a real option.

cheers

Dave

How about the Navara double cab? with the 6 speed box it's not too bad on fuel and the newer models, after 02 I think have reasonable leg room in the back. Or the Mitsibushi warrior double cab. My mate has the Mitsi and I have a Navara, both work brilliantly as shooting wagons. On the plus side as well having a seperate load area in the back means you never have to worry about what you sling in there (no upolstery to ruin) As has been said previously you can get a lot for your money these days due to the credit crunch. I'd avoid the Mazda and ford versions of the above, our guides used them in Africa an they were very uncomfortable - but thats just my oppinion.

Archived