6mmbr Neck sizing ???

n8ess

What are your thoughts on neck sizing??? I have been advised against it if I am using a relatively hot load as this can cause the necks to split prematurely. My most accurate load is 32.8g Vit-140 with an 80g berger but at the moment I am FL sizing cases.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Whether you full length size or neck size only, the neck is still being sized the same, so the advice you have been given is wrong mate.

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

Do you neck size only? What are the benefits of neck sizing vs FL sizing?

Most handloaders will agree that neck sizing only is beneficial to accuracy.

This is because the case body is fireformed to fit the chamber, better for straighter presentation of the bullet into the lands.

I neck size only and have been doing so for many years, some handloaders will same you should F/L size for a factory cahmber because if there are any concentricity issues these will not be compounded by neck sizing only.

I see you have a custom chamber therefore IMO neck sizing can only enhance the accuracy of your rifle.

Ian.

My that sounds like a very nice rig indeed.

With my PPC I tend to ease the shoulder back maybe every 5th reload. I use the Redding 3 die set of that, neck die, seater and shoudler die.

With my new 20BR I have been advised to watch the length like a hawk (measure after every fireing) but to not touch the shoulder. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

As Ian says neck sizing is the way to go.

A

Archived