Deer stalking and the foxes

I've just come back from a few days stalking on my syndicate in Scotland. Arrived Sunday afternoon at the hotel and went out in the evening to try to spot a buck or two.

After only about 20 minutes I came across a sight that I won't forget... this poor doe had got caught on the fence. It was still alive but had received really bad injuries to be able to release it so I despatched it.

IMGA0006.jpg

IMGA0007.jpg

IMGA0009-1.jpg

The rest of the evening I saw a doe with a very young fawn but I was glad I went to this location otherwise the doe could have suffered a slow death.

The next few days we saw quite a few does and a couple of young bucks but nothing that we wanted to take out. We went fishing on the river and I hooked a salmon but lost it when it rolled on the surface :D

On Tuesday night I went to a good spot that was next to a hill and in one direction it overlooked the edge of a wood about 180 yards away . After about 40 minutes I heard some cubs in the wood and managed to video this ....

Fox video

I didn't shoot the foxes as this was my last chance of the trip to bag a buck but I was pretty impressed with the outcome of the video :blush:

After I filmed this I went and had a look over the clearing behind me and spotted another fox about 400 yards away, I squeaked this and surprisingly it came in to about 50 yards ! Suddenly about 170 yards to my left I spotted a nice 6 point buck. I crawled in to around 120 yards but as the grass was very long I couldn't get a clear shot. Eventually with the bipod at full extent I managed to get a shot off ( I went for a high heart as I couldn't see below this because of the grass and it head was mostly down feeding so I couldn't get a neck shot. Anyway it dropped on the spot.

I'm sorry I didn't get any photos but if you've ever stalked South West Scotland this time of year you will know that suddenly about 2 million flies and midges surround you so I quickly gralloched it and got it back to the car.

What a fantastic video, my daughter is going to love watching that!! I know exactly what you mean about the midges.....have had to leave a gralloch for a few minutes in the past to get away from them then keep going back until the job is done - it is extreme torture!!!!

Can you give some details on the camera etc.

Cheers NW

What a fantastic video, my daughter is going to love watching that!! I know exactly what you mean about the midges.....have had to leave a gralloch for a few minutes in the past to get away from them then keep going back until the job is done - it is extreme torture!!!!

Can you give some details on the camera etc.

Cheers NW

Hi NW ,

The midges were bad enough but there were thousands of black flies which drive you mad !

The camera is a Panasonic HDC-SD9 . It records in HD and has a Leica lens with 3CCD . I like it as I can slip it in my pocket.

Hi Gary, would you mind if I saved those photos of the doe in the fence to use for training purposed? obviously I would not publish, sell, claim them as my own etc. Thanks, JC

Hi JC,

No problem at all.

You could see the vixen was not happy with the midges etc.

I suppose because of my pheasant shooting activities that vixen would have been history it if was me along with maybe a cub, But your buck prooves that patience is a virtue.

A

It's good that you spotted that Doe. Just goes to show that having some good experienced guys wandering the countryside with rifles can only be a good thing. Looks like she'd have been there a long time if you hadn't have found her.

Well done on getting the Buck too. It doesn't hurt to leave shots now and again, which this clearly shows! Something better often comes along.

Archived