Finally my new (to me) Hornet

after some great advice from you guys I have finally managed to get pictures on my new Ruger 77/22 all weather Hornet and my CZ .223. I am pleased with both rifles as both were picked up on a budget.

Looking for a good recipe for lil gun and 35g V max now ;):(

newtoys001.jpg

newtoys002.jpg

newtoys003.jpg

newtoys004.jpg

newtoys005.jpg

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get them sighted in and then off out on some charlie.

cheers

GB

Congrats on the new Ruger; I hope it shoots for you.

I load a LOT of Hornet as I feed 2 CZ's that ravage a prairiedog town near my home on almost a daily basis. The three powders I like are, in descending order:

Hodgdon Lil Gun

Hodgdon H-110 (or the identical Winchester 296)

Accurate Arms 1680 (Which I don't think is available to you in the UK)

Lil Gun has a few qualities I like but that it is very low pressure is my favorite. Top loads with any bullet weight don't hit 40K pressure. The top load with a 40 grain bullet generates 30K pressure. This is nothing and case life is extended to the point where the cases will work harden from use before they split or show signs of incipient separation. The velocities with a 35 grain V-Max are 3060 fps at 3500 ft altitude. The second admirable quality of Lil Gun is tied to the first: You simply can't get enough powder into the case to cause you any problems. Winchester cases top off at about 13.5 grains. Remington a little more. You could scoop the case full and seat a bullet and have a safe load. I know a rancher hereabouts that does just that. His wife commandeered his CZ 527 and is an avid "dog" shooter. The only way he can keep up with her ammo demands is to scoop the cases full and seat a 35 grain V-Max. If this technique is a detriment to accuracy he hasn't heard about it. If you load this powder you will see what i mean. Thirteen point five grains is one of those rare "universal" loads that usually works in every rifle. It is a very accurate load. My loading room is wallpapered in three shot bug-hole groups made with this load.

Hodgdon H-110 is a higher pressure powder but also delivers top velocity. I worked up a load for a thirty-three (33) grain V-Max that ran 3280 fps on a hot summer's day and shot bug holes. Case life was about 5 loadings, though, so I don't use it much. The load was 11.5 grains. Ten point eight grains worked well with the 35 grain V-Max.

The trick to loading Hornet is technique. I neck size with a Lee Collet Die and trim at every loading. I use small pistol primers but any non-match / non-magnum, standard small rifle primer should work. I like CCI for rifle primers.

I add one step to the normal reloading process by flaring the case mouth slightly with a Lee Universal die. This allows straight seating and keeps you from rumpling case necks.

Lastly, I crimp. Yeah... people howl when I say that but I do it because it works towards shrinking groups and making velocities more uniform. Lee Factory crimp die is the way to go.

Hope you get some tight groups. ~Andrew

I use 13grns under my V-max. They go well enough to make a mess! I got some sound advice from somewhere (probably here) that if you level the case with lil-gun and seat the bullet the powder will push it back out a bit! On saying that with a good crimp the OAL doesn't seem to be too important as long as you can get the round in the mag!

• 2 weeks later...

My old BRNO likes 40 grain nosler BT's over 10.5 grains of H110, CCI SR primer - they'll do 1/2" at 100yards, no pressure signs . I have loaded a few 35grainers but can't get them under 3/4", maybe I need to play about more. The only disadvantage with the 40's is I can only get 2 in the mag. I've shot a lot of foxes with the rifle and never found that a problem though.

James

Archived