I would say yes , it may make a Bronze but the weight factor is very important.

The tines are very long and colour good but beam girth is not excessive.

Try what I call the Swedish `Quick Fix Formula`.

Weight in gramms , multiply by 0.23 and add 20 .

Not CIC but a rough guide. For an uncut scull 90 gramms should be deducted from the weight first.

HWH.

It certainly looks like a good head, where abouts was it taken? I'm with Stag1933 it looks like it may make bronze. Doesn't the BASC offer measuring services now?

Shot in Wiltshire.

I found the CIC website, and they will be at the CLA, but not sure i'll be attending??

sorry pal your wrong it does work like this,

You need

105-114.9 for Bronze

115-129.9 for Silver

and 130 and above for Gold

Weight is worked out on the dry weight of the full skull or minus 90g if cut then times 0.1 in this case you have 41 points there on the weight.

You then must submerge the antlers in water until the base of the coronets and then take the shown weight of the unsubmerged skull from the full skull weight and then times that by 0.3 to give you the antler volume say it was 150 x 0.3 =45 points.

This adds up to 86 points so far then measure both the antlers on the outside edge pushing the tape in just before the coronet they are added together and halved to give you the average ie 24 right 25 left would be 24.5 average this is then times 0.5 to give the score ie 12.25.

You now have 98.25 points.

The other points are awarded

Inside span max 4 points

Colour max 4 points

Pearling max 4 points

Coronets max 4 points

Tine ends max 2 points

Regularity max 2 points

So if you get 2 for colour 1 for pearling 3 for coronets 2 for tine ends and 1 for regularity then you have 107.25 CIC a bronze. i do know what i am talking about mate i have shot a few in my day .

Sorry Tikka but Stag was correct:

To enable the Trophy Judges to measure Roe buck heads, the skulls should have been cleaned of all skin and tissue, boiled out and if possible trimmed to the short nose cut as shown in the diagram.

The short nose cut is represented by the top solid black line and whilst the other other cuts shown are acceptable, including a full skull without the jawbone, deductions will be made for those other cuts during the scoring process.

As a rough guide to the potential score that your Roe head might reach, the following net weights are given to indicate the possible medal status. Please remember that these are net weights for a short nose cut and that there are other factors involved in the final measurement. A full skull will require 90grms to be deducted to achieve the net weight:

Bronze Medal 365grms

Silver Medal 420grms

Gold medal 500grms

Here is the link to the CIC site:

http://www.cictrophy.com/MeasuringGuide.html

'Sorry pal you're wrong...' is a pretty bold statement to make! Especially when you're the one thats wrong!

The wording in the CIC training manual 2008 states this:

2. Weight of antlers. The gross weight in grammes (to at least the nearest 5 grammes) is recorded, with a deduction made according to the way that the trophy has been cut. This net weight is then divided by ten to give the weight score.

Technique: Suspend the trophy from the spring balance, antlers towards the floor, with an elastic band around the skull behind the pedicles. Support the sespending arm with a hand at the elbow, with the supporting arm placed on a firm surface at a level to ensure ease of spring balance reading. The net weight required is the equivilant to a skull that has been 'Standard' or 'Short-nose' cut. For a 'full skull' (i.e. retaining all skull bones and the upper teeth), a standard deduction of 90 grammes is made. For a 'long-nose' cut (i.e. retaining the entire eye socket, the jaw anchorage bone and the entire nasal cavity and with just the upper jaw removed the standard deduction is 65 grammes. For other variations of cut an appropriate deduction must be made and this is made easier if a collection of off-cuts is retained for this purpose. Note that weight may not be added back in the case of a trophy cut shorter than standard cut.

Archived