Another Schmidt & Bender L17A1?

Just came across this Schmidt & Bender PMII which looks like it might be another L17A1 of questionable origin. It's been gouged out where the L17A1 and serial number markings would usually be.

The price is just under 1k which isn't terrible, but supposing it is real (L17A1 or a normal PMII made to look like a L17A1) and not a replica (are there even any replicas?), would it be a sensible buy to use as a regular scope and not for collecting? As in... would Schmidt & Bender service a L17A1 in civilian possession, or a normal PMII that's had its serial number scraped off like this?

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-08 at 22.01.07 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-08 at 22.01.07 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-08 at 22.01.07.jpeg

Serial number may still be in tact, it should be under the ocular housing, the L17A1 marking and NSN number is what looks to have been removed, also refinished obviously. It is also missing the rubber ring around the focus adjustment.

As there is no evidence of any L17A1's ever being sold out of service, and the identification marks are ground off, then it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work out why.

Anyone buying it is taking a big gamble that they don't get a knock on the door one day.

Those of us with experience of the 6 year MOD Police persecution over straight pull L98's will testify to how uncomfortable these things can get.

At best you might end up having it seized.

Middle ground you get a civil action under the Police Property Act and lose the scope and get hit with costs. Ask LERA how that went!

At worst, you get a conviction for Handling Stolen Goods, lose the scope and lose your FAC, probably forever.

You wouldn't buy a car with the VIN number ground off....................

Get a standard 3-12, if you need a clone, get it engraved as an L17A1, keep the engraving receipt, and have no risk.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Just my thoughts.

I asked the seller this morning where it came from out of curiosity or if it was a regular PMII made to look like it had been ex-MOD property, and they said it was probably ex-forces with the marks removed for sanitisation before being released... Hard to believe based on comments on my previous L17A1 post. 

I considered taking a punt using credit card for payment and get it checked to see if it was just a faked ex-MOD one, but luckily for my time, it had already sold. 

What happened with L98A1s? I’ve seen a few around but don’t know the story. 

Nobody is going to damage a decent scope to pretend it's ex military.....................................

There isn't enough room here to tell the L98 story I am afraid.

4 hours ago, Roy W said:

There isn't enough room here to tell the L98 story I am afraid.

It was understanding that the LERA chairman involved at the time was going to write it up and publish it; that said I wouldn't be surprised if the story is still a legal minefield! 

• 1 month later...